Looking for a Bennington outfitted for fishing

Lweekly

Reaction score
I'm earnestly looking for a Bennington pontoon for fishing in SW Florida. I live on a large harbor and also have the Intercoastal waterway nearby.
I like the 21 or 22' SFX model layouts. My big question is how much difference is there between a pontoon and the tri-toon models? What are the pros and cons of the two styles?
Thanks for any input you provide.

I’m in southeast Florida and have a 24’ with sps which is a true tri-toon. I would not go with a two toon boat. Mine rides high and dry and cuts through boat wake without issue. I recently added a 36v minn Kota terrova and it works great. I have a buddy with a bay boat and he has mentioned numerous times how impressed he is with the ride on my boat.

Thanks for your reply. I currently have a PathFinder 2200 with a Yamaha SHO 200. The ride is crappy. It always seems a little "porpoisey" to me.
I'm probably going to stay at the 21-22 foot size, due to my boat lift and cost. So far, it's kind of hard to find the tri-toons compared with the duals.

Thanks for your reply. I currently have a PathFinder 2200 with a Yamaha SHO 200. The ride is crappy. It always seems a little "porpoisey" to me.
I'm probably going to stay at the 21-22 foot size, due to my boat lift and cost. So far, it's kind of hard to find the tri-toons compared with the duals.
I’m up on the space coast on the intercostal, I have a 22 ft SSRXP with sps like @lakeliving and it is great with all the chop and big boat wake. You will have far more boating/fishing days with a Tritoon than a double toon when the water is more rough. If you have to go double toon then make sure you get the elliptical tubes, those will offer more bouyancy, and a shallower draft than the standard tubes. From what I’ve seen, those are a little lighter and you can get a couple of mph more from those than a Tritoon with a 150 on the back.

That being said, I’ve never ridden on a pontoon with ellipticals to compare the ride, but I did see one fly by on the intracoastal and it seemed to do pretty good.

Thanks for your input. Right now my best find is a 22 SFX with two elliptical pontoons. The search intensifies this week.

If we weren't under all this social distancing fun you can come over on this side of the state and I'll take you for a ride. I think you'll be impressed.

I have the 22' elliptical fishing model. It is great for that purpose. We fish in Canada on a lake that can get 2'+ waves. The boat handles them well. You can not go slow in the big waves. Keep some speed so you cut thru the next wave instead of diving in the trough and stuffing the nose.

I would echo what everyone above said, True tritoon probably best, but elliptical would get it done great too. I wouldn’t even bother with a 2-toon for where you will be boating. But that’s me.

If you are planning on a large engine you need 3 FULL toons. I made this mistake. My 22ssx w the Express pkg sits way too low in the water. See my picture.

I am having the conversation with my dealer about adding a full center tune to remedy my problem with the back of the boat sitting so low in the water
7C85A1CB-8D44-4871-A43C-9D58DC1A253E.jpegB423C930-4D85-4334-8AFF-A7305E55C8B9.jpeg

Last edited:
Now let’s talk about setting up a pontoon for fishing (Saltwater).

I have had a ball getting my 22ssx setup for fishing. Realize the 22ssx is a fishing format. It has a live bait well, and two aft fishing chairs.

1) I have upgraded and relocated the fish finder/plotter. I moved the plotter to the left side of the helm and went to the Simrad GO7 replacing the all too small GO5. Additionally, the GO7 has ability to add an external alarm, which I did; 100db Peizo. You can sure hear my shallow water alarm now.

2) figured out how to install a pair of Outriggers.

56FFD50D-015A-4472-A7B3-12A2FEA6290A.jpeg

B4351318-3A5E-465A-9E83-F09EEDB5B52C.jpeg

Additionally, I ordered our 22ssx with the freshwater Washdown AND a Helm Sink which is pressurized by the washdown pump. Great for cleaning you hands after the “girls” ask me to bait their hooks.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I have a 20 sfx with 2 tubes. I only have a little 70 hp Yamaha on it so it doesn’t set any speed records but it is a nice fishing layout with 2 captain chairs in the front and 2 smaller folding swivel chairs in the stern (one of which I have taken out to make more room. It also has 2 live wells, one each, forward and aft. It fishes pretty nice on our inland bay an canal. I will take it to the inlet area when the wind isn’t blowing but I stay far away from the bigger boats because the wakes tear me up. More than once I have not been able to get her turned to have enough angle on the wake and taken a bow full of water. She doesn’t handle wind very well either, especially going against the tide. Have turned back a couple times because it just wouldn’t be fun but we watch the tri-toons out running around.

Thanks everyone. We got a 22 SFX, with two elliptical pontoons. Even with the Yamaha 115, it cruises nicely at 25-27 and handles chop very nicely. I just got my MinnKota Terrova installed today and did the Lowrance HDS12 yesterday. I'll take pictures this weekend, after I've got everything neatened up.

Congrats and welcome to the Bennington family. So looking forward to the pictures!

Looking forward to seeing your trolling motor setup!

Thanks everyone. We got a 22 SFX, with two elliptical pontoons. Even with the Yamaha 115, it cruises nicely at 25-27 and handles chop very nicely. I just got my MinnKota Terrova installed today and did the Lowrance HDS12 yesterday. I'll take pictures this weekend, after I've got everything neatened up.
Awesome! Congratulations

Congratulations. Looking forward to pictures of your boat and the final set up once you are set with it all.

As I have the same style boat, you need to learn what it does in a high speed turn. Go full throttle, tell people to hang on and turn it has hard as you can. It will turn hard but flat which will throw people and things across the boat. You need to know what it will do so you can handle an emergency maneuver. For fishing it is a great boat. We have had some 2-3' waves and left the unprotected dock to get to the boat ramp to pull the boat. I have had to tack to stay diagonal to the waves. It handles both incoming and following seas well. The extra HP of my 150 helps tremendously when you have to tack. Enjoy the boat. We have had 4 generations fishing at the same time on ours.

I'm earnestly looking for a Bennington pontoon for fishing in SW Florida. I live on a large harbor and also have the Intercoastal waterway nearby.
I like the 21 or 22' SFX model layouts. My big question is how much difference is there between a pontoon and the tri-toon models? What are the pros and cons of the two styles?
Thanks for any input you provide.
Not sure if you have already purchase a pontoon and if so welcome to the family. I have a two-toon elliptical model salwater package with lifting strakes and rough water package and it rides amazing actually a little better the then tri-toon (In my opinion). Not anywhere near the handling of the tri-toon, turns and handles like a barge but it is lighter and drafts shallow I believe then the Tri-toon. I have had mine in a foot of water at the depth finder reading and is floats without issue with 4 people on the boat fishing. I have a 22GCW which is 24.9 ft in length and handles great in Tampa Bay with a 200 Yamaha on the back. Many people look at me fly past them while they pound the waves and I don't. I would not go with regular two-toons and I would get at least elliptical with rough water packaged or tri-toon. I am currently waiting on a new Minn Kota to be delivered so I can finally have spot lock while I fish cant wait. Have a great day and happy memorial day.

Back