Looking for a new pontoon

Last Dollar

Reaction score
I'm currently in the decision making process for ordering a new pontoon in the coming months. I currently have two other boats but after selling my pontoon I realized this craft gave me the most joy and least stress. So I will buy a new one and sell another of my fleet to downsize to two boats. The center console fishing boat stays!

I think the 24 SLi is exactly what I'm looking for but have a few questions. Since speed, skiing and water sports are part of my past I think a pontoon that will run 25 mph tops and possibly cruise around 22 would be my choice. I'm considering the 90 or 115 Mercury 4 stroke. I understand the 60 and 50 hp Mercs are made in China but the Verado size blocks in the 75,90,115 and up are a product of the USA. Can anyone verify this?? I will not buy anything made in China if there is anyway around it. Buying Japan is bad enough but China is a profane slap in the face.

Also I really don't think a tri-tube boat is appropriate for my needs but I am considering the upgrade to 32 inch Eliptical tubes. Anyone have this option?? Looks like the bigger tubes would keep the stern from sitting so low in the water. What's the opinion on this??

I'm currently in the decision making process for ordering a new pontoon in the coming months. I currently have two other boats but after selling my pontoon I realized this craft gave me the most joy and least stress. So I will buy a new one and sell another of my fleet to downsize to two boats. The center console fishing boat stays!

I think the 24 SLi is exactly what I'm looking for but have a few questions. Since speed, skiing and water sports are part of my past I think a pontoon that will run 25 mph tops and possibly cruise around 22 would be my choice. I'm considering the 90 or 115 Mercury 4 stroke. I understand the 60 and 50 hp Mercs are made in China but the Verado size blocks in the 75,90,115 and up are a product of the USA. Can anyone verify this?? I will not buy anything made in China if there is anyway around it. Buying Japan is bad enough but China is a profane slap in the face.

Also I really don't think a tri-tube boat is appropriate for my needs but I am considering the upgrade to 32 inch Eliptical tubes. Anyone have this option?? Looks like the bigger tubes would keep the stern from sitting so low in the water. What's the opinion on this??
The 24 SLi is a great boat - we just recently purchased our 2011. We have a Mercury OptiMax 115. The boat will run a solid 27-28mph with a full tank of gas and two adults and three kids. Our speed is confirmed via GPS. We do not have the tri toons or the eliptical tubes - just the standard 25" tubes. I'm pleased with our performance - I will say that I had to do some prop experimentation to find the right set up. So far no problems pulling tubes or a skier.

I don't know where the motor was manufactured so I can't answer that question. However, I'm sure someone else can help. You will be pleased with the 24SLi.

Shawn

Before you buy the 24 SLi, take a look at the 24 SSL. This is the one we're looking seriously at. It's a new design, just starting to appear on the website as of yesterday. The 22 SSL has been on the website for a while (not sure how long, but at least a month). It has a pretty good picture (same as my Avatar picture) of the back end with the rear facing "love seat" lounger. The 24 has a slant/recliner end on the port-side front couch. This is one of the things they did when they extended the boat 2 feet, and we think Bennington made a good choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before you buy the 24 SLi, take a look at the 24 SSL. This is the one we're looking seriously at. It's a new design, just starting to appear on the website as of yesterday. The 22 SSL has been on the website for a while (not sure how long, but at least a month). It has a pretty good picture (same as my Avatar picture) of the back end with the rear facing "love seat" lounger. The 24 has a slant/recliner end on the port-side front couch. This is one of the things they did when they extended the boat 2 feet, and we think Bennington made a good choice.
I prefer the changing room and place for a porta potty.

The 24 SLi is a great boat - we just recently purchased our 2011. We have a Mercury OptiMax 115. The boat will run a solid 27-28mph with a full tank of gas and two adults and three kids. Our speed is confirmed via GPS. We do not have the tri toons or the eliptical tubes - just the standard 25" tubes. I'm pleased with our performance - I will say that I had to do some prop experimentation to find the right set up. So far no problems pulling tubes or a skier.

I don't know where the motor was manufactured so I can't answer that question. However, I'm sure someone else can help. You will be pleased with the 24SLi.

Shawn
Thanks for the info. I assume the 4 stroke speed would run near what a two stroke does. I prefer the 4 stroke for long periods of idle and slow speeds. I'm also considering Honda but really want to stay with "made in the USA" products. I won't consider the China Merc!

Just to second that, our 24SSL is coming with both a changing room and a porta potty. The changing room is under the rear lounger (which pops up, of course). The porta potty is very likely going to wind up in my attic, since I will likely be the one that will have to clean it out, if you know what I mean.

Regarding speed, my dealer today told me today he test drove a 24SSL with 115 HP Yamaha (tri-tune express package with lifting strakes on all the tubes) at Bennington's dealer event this weekend, and it hit 35 MPH on a pressure-type speedometer (not GPS) with 2 people in the boat. I'm not saying this to encourage you to look at an SSL, I'm just mentioning it so you can compare these results (tri-toon with strakes) with the 2 standard 25" tubes mentioned a couple posts up for the same motor size and similar boat.

Keep in mind, the dealer said this, I did not witness it personally. But, I really don't have reason to call him a liar. I will verify with GPS when it comes and we test drive it!

Back