Looking for help. Top end speed not what was promised.

TD67

Reaction score
I've got a 2015 2075 GL Tri-toon with a 150 HP Yamaha. Bought it new at the end of the season in 2015. (about 85 hours on it). Boat has never gone faster than 30 MPH. (5400 RPM). If I trim all the way up I can get 6500 RPMS but no increase in speed. Original prop was changed after complaining to dealer ("wrong prop"). Currently running a Yamaha Reliance 3 blade 15-M, 14 1/2. Anyone have any ideas? I was originally told boat would do 40 MPH.

I would agree that your speed, in good water and light weight load conditions should be much more. Anything in the 35-40mph on gps would be a range I’d expect with your boat and motor. Just to be on the safe side, have you checked on each of the following to make sure they are not contributing to the problem:

1) Are your three toons clean - no build up, film, growth deposits, etc...?

2) Is your engine mounted properly in the right hole/height - is your cavitation plate at a good spot when under way and at WOT?

Regardless of proper prop, both of the above would slow you down considerably if off.

My assumption is your prop is off, but I’d check the above two items as well.

For prop ideas, I will leave it to others with the 150 Yamaha’s to impart good advice. We have a number of them on the forum, and I know they will have ideas for dialing that in, assuming you are not already using a good prop for your set up.

Good luck!

I would agree that your speed, in good water and light weight load conditions should be much more. Anything in the 35-40mph on gps would be a range I’d expect with your boat and motor. Just to be on the safe side, have you checked on each of the following to make sure they are not contributing to the problem:

1) Are your three toons clean - no build up, film, growth deposits, etc...?

2) Is your engine mounted properly in the right hole/height - is your cavitation plate at a good spot when under way and at WOT?

Regardless of proper prop, both of the above would slow you down considerably if off.

My assumption is your prop is off, but I’d check the above two items as well.

For prop ideas, I will leave it to others with the 150 Yamaha’s to impart good advice. We have a number of them on the forum, and I know they will have ideas for dialing that in, assuming you are not already using a good prop for your set up.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. I'm sure the tube are not the cleanest, but the boat NEVER went any faster. Even when new and after dealer had it for a week ( supposedly a complete check up with the prop change). I would assume that means they checked the mounting holes. I should note prop is SS and the tubes are the ESP option. Also, I have confirmed speedo with GPS.

There are a number of members on this forum that should be able to help you out. You can also consider sending Phil at propgods.com an email with all of your specs. He knows his stuff!

Do not have a boat yet but have been all over the Yamaha Performance Reports on Benningtons and do have a Yamaha 150 on another boat.
The performance reports I have for a 21 foot and 22 foot SSX with the Yamaha 150 is with the Reliance- SDS 14 1/2x15 #68F-45970-10-00 and it turns 6,000 on both boats with speeds of 41 and 42.3 mph. The motor is in hole #2. So you are low in speed and RPM. The difference between 5400 and 6,000 with that prop is 7-8 mph so you need that extra RPM with a different prop...
Now all the boat performance reports are run light but you should be running higher.
I would try the prop listed above and see if you can get to 6,000 at a higher speed.
My Yamaha 150 also turns 6,000 and is a great motor...

Are you Heavily Loaded?
Front Loaded?

Do you have the center tube storage option with that ESP?

With Clean tubes and a medium load it should run 35 - 37 Minimum I'm thinking.

A 150 is the minimum HP for the ESP tubes and my dealer told me that I would be VERY disappointed if I went with that package. We went with a 250 and we are sooo happy that we did!

It’s 2075, so I would assume it’s a 20’ SPS hull with the 150. Something must not correct as that thing should boogie! Prop and motor adjustment would be the first place to start. Look they the specs thread and see what guys are running, I’m assuming the prop is way off.

Back