looking to buy questions

afterfive

Reaction score
found used 25 RLI in 2 tubes great shape and had a few questions. Having never had a potoon boat before .comes with yamaha 115 4 stroke dont think it has power steering.what kind of speed can i expect from that motor usually just going to be about 4 people.and is the steering going to be really stiff? Can you add power steering without spending a lot. Thanks for any info on that model.... Is there any thing i should be looking for or asking?.boat will be used on 6 mile lake with access to lake michigan waters

Is it possible to get a build sheet from bennington for older boats?

Last edited:
I would not take a 2-tube boat on Lake Michigan. With a 115 you shouldn't have a problem steering so I wouldn't bother with adding power assist. As for speed, I think you will be underwhelmed. As far as a build sheet, send the Hull ID number to Bennington. Good luck.

Plus 1 on staying off Lake Michigan with 2 tubes

Welcome! So, your primary usage will be cruising with up to four people, correct? No watersports or need for speed I assume. If that's the case then this might be a perfect boat for you but make no mistake, it won't be a speedster.

When I go out to Lake Michigan water is flat just go to beach and anchor out. Yes there might be tube pulling.so how underpowered is this? Should I be looking for 150 hp? Dealer said boat should make close to 30?.boat is 10 years old and asking high 25.but boat is very very clean. Last boat I had was a 31ft seayray. Totally different. I guess just don't want to find out that's it a dog. Mostly used for fishing also.i know a prop chg would help also

My 1st Bennington was a 23 SLX with a 90 ,I was able to hit 28 -29 .It did have a wave shield

I got a 2019 21’, 2 toon, wave shield, 115 Yamaha. 2 plus a dog, calm water, topped out at about 35. With decent chop, maybe 30. I don’t have power assist and steering is no problem. Had it out with some pretty rough water (not Lake Michigan rough) in the fall and it did much better than I expected. Wave shield I believe helps a lot in that situation. If you want big wake tubing (like the older kids like) you won’t get that with this motor.

Welcome ! We have a saying on this Forum "Buy your last Bennington first" you didn't mention a budget, so if cash is not an issue I would do some homework and upgrade to a Tritoon with at least a 150 h.p. More members will chime in so keep in touch !

I got a 2019 21’, 2 toon, wave shield, 115 Yamaha. 2 plus a dog, calm water, topped out at about 35. With decent chop, maybe 30. I don’t have power assist and steering is no problem. Had it out with some pretty rough water (not Lake Michigan rough) in the fall and it did much better than I expected. Wave shield I believe helps a lot in that situation. If you want big wake tubing (like the older kids like) you won’t get that with this motor.

Wow! That's a lot faster than my 2011 two tube 22 foot GCW. With just me, clean tubes, smooth water and a half tank of gas -- 27 max per GPS.

I've read a lot about underskinning over the years and don't believe it adds much speed to most boats. Maybe 1 MPH. Some even lose speed after underskinning because of the added weight. Most people that add it say it does improve the ride noticeably though. (Eliminates surging from spray hitting the floor joists.)

Trying to stay under 30. This is just a very clean boat with no trailer. Not sure I would find tri-tube and 150hp for that money. Is the 3rd tube really that much better? But if you guys are saying no to at least 28-30 miles per hour with this model. Maybe look for 150

Afterfive, it's a big investment you're about to make: any chance of a sea trial prior to purchase?

Well with the weather in Michigan I think that's about 2 months out yet.thinking maybe have something written in sales agreement. But I am sure people on this forum have or had this boat and motor..and should be able to give real advice

afterfive: where does one buy questions, and how much do they cost...?

Wow! That's a lot faster than my 2011 two tube 22 foot GCW. With just me, clean tubes, smooth water and a half tank of gas -- 27 max per GPS.

I've read a lot about underskinning over the years and don't believe it adds much speed to most boats. Maybe 1 MPH. Some even lose speed after underskinning because of the added weight. Most people that add it say it does improve the ride noticeably though. (Eliminates surging from spray hitting the floor joists.)

I don’t know if the wave shield does all that much for speed, but in the really rough water it handled much better than I expected it would, with a much smoother ride. I suspect the wave shield does help with rough water days where the water would pound the joists.

Well with the weather in Michigan I think that's about 2 months out yet.thinking maybe have something written in sales agreement. But I am sure people on this forum have or had this boat and motor..and should be able to give real advice
So I believe with wanting 28 to 30 you’ll be just fine, and 2 toons will work fine as well at that speed. Having said that, your comment about having test run before final sale is right on point. My new Bennington is first boat I bought without test riding the boat I’m buying (although I test rode other similar models with same motor). Buying used, you’ve got to see how it runs for your own satisfaction, and you’ll see if the layout and speed are to your satisfaction. May even want to do compression test on the motor (I’m anal). I’ve been out for over an hour, running, sitting for a while (checking layout), running, having spouse walk around while running, stopping, even docking to see layout has doors where I want them (said no to one pontoon beacause of how door lined up (or did not line up) well with the hoist I had). The only thing I felt I couldn’t do on those tests was drink beer along the way to see how I would really use the boat (to see how the floor handles beer spills). But test run is absolutely reasonable and necessary.

Last edited:
R series is a lot heavier than the S. My R with two toons and a 115 did 26mph brand new and lost a few mph over the years. When I added the Express toon package and underskinning I hit 31 with just me in the boat, I have a lost a few MPH since then

Thanks for all your help.it sounds like I should be fine with speed.i like everything about the layout.a sea trail would be nice but I doubt he would wait for is money that long. Maybe I will try something in contract.boat only has 240 hours and always on a lift. Unfortunately my lift will have to wait.just tie up to pier for this year

R series is a lot heavier than the S. My R with two toons and a 115 did 26mph brand new and lost a few mph over the years. When I added the Express toon package and underskinning I hit 31 with just me in the boat, I have a lost a few MPH since then
I wouldn’t have thought series would be much different in weight but they really are. As well as obviously, the length. So I have 21’ SX series. Looks like mine comes in at about 1900 lbs. sunedog’s GCW about 2400. And afterlive’s find 25’ RL is about 2950 (all per NADA). These are general numbers, and layout/options will certainly modify those weights, but it gives an idea of the difference. So my top speed will be higher with all else being equal. Don’t know what that extra 1000 lbs will do to MPH.

Back