Losing Power

Four R's

Reaction score
We use our boat on the bay.  From time to time, seaweed clogs the water intakes and the boat loses power while doubling the RPM's.  Usually if we turn it off and lift the engine, or even put it in reverse, the engine improves.  Our problem is that it did not improve and I had to essentially limp back home.  Spoke to someone at my marina who thinks it might be something in the prop causing it?  Just wonder what others have experienced?  Yamaha 115 HP, 4 stroke with maybe 120 hours.

Thanks

Might of spun the hub inside prop so you're slipping on the shaft. I would assume a 115 would have that style prop but I've been wrong before! If a poly bushing it probably gets hot enough to slip and once it cools down has enough tension to grab again..... this time maybe not so much! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Might of spun the hub inside prop so you're slipping on the shaft. I would assume a 115 would have that style prop but I've been wrong before! If a poly bushing it probably gets hot enough to slip and once it cools down has enough tension to grab again..... this time maybe not so much! 

thanks much!

I have a similar issue. Weeds clog the M bracket openings and the engine mount area at an unprecedented rate and drop me to less than half speed. I clear the weeds manually and it works fine until I encounter more weeds. I am not sure of the solution but I think if the openings were sealed off this would drastically reduce this problem. Also, I thought with the saltwater edition, elliptical tubes, lifting strakes, and the rough water package that the under-deck would be sealed, and all welds on the lifting strakes and foils have a continuous weld to prevent salt water from getting into areas hard to flush.

Anyone know the answer to what comes with these upgrades? Shouldn't the entire under-deck including welds be sealed? 

In Florida's fresh waters it is against the law to transport ANY weeds from one body of water to another.

I am powered with a VMAX SHO 115 and the engine collects very little weeds and they are easy to clear. 

Any one else having this issue?

large.5974060e20bd6_20170722_095322(2).jpg.caae9847082d11a8e64f3ab565d0bb10.jpg

Check that area on the intake on the motor. We lost 1100 RPM because the part on the inside of the plastic housing would collapse and starve the motor for air. We lost rpm not gained but just throwing it out there so you can eliminate it. We have a F90 Yamaha.This was a gradual thing that happened at the end of last year and through this year.

The fix was the dealers idea with the wire ties but going to try to get with yamaha to see if it is a legit fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back