Loss of all accessory power

TWO2019

Reaction score
Hi!

I am a newbie here. Bought my first boat in May and finally got it on the water this week.

It's a Bennington 2016 SX22 Fish and Cruise.

I disconnected my negative two leads to the battery yesterday and reconnected them today and none of my accessories turn on (e.g. livewells, horns, fish finders, etc.)

Could this be a blown fuse? If so, where would this be located? Behind the dash?

Thanks for any help.

Todd

Yikes! I'm not an electrician (but I do have two master electricians in the family) so beyond checking all of your connections and hunting down fuses, I'm not going to be much help. Hopefully some of our smarter contributors will chime in...

Check your switches and breakers

I’m betting that something didn’t get hooked back up or the connection is not back together properly. The things you mention are all on different switches and breakers so I doubt it’s a blown fuse. Do the navigation lights work? It’s tough to blow a fuse taking ground away.

Thanks all! There is an online resettable breaker on the positive side of the battery that burned out. I replaced it and all accessories worked. I appreciate everyone's input to help a newbie!

I’m betting that something didn’t get hooked back up or the connection is not back together properly. The things you mention are all on different switches and breakers so I doubt it’s a blown fuse. Do the navigation lights work? It’s tough to blow a fuse taking ground away.

Nav lights didn't work. None of the lights worked but do now. Thanks!

Hello everyone, Same issue with my boat this morning (nothing on my boat electrically works at all). My battery is fully charged, I have power after the 40 amp relay at the on the positive side of the battery. Every switch in the boat has power and is registering 13.5 volts, The Motor leads both have power. I know I'm must be missing a master fuse and I have followed the Electrical Schematic that I found. If anyone has any recommendations.

Could the ground at the key ignition cause a total electrical failure.

Check your switches and Breakers

Hello everyone, Same issue with my boat this morning (nothing on my boat electrically works at all). My battery is fully charged, I have power after the 40 amp relay at the on the positive side of the battery. Every switch in the boat has power and is registering 13.5 volts, The Motor leads both have power. I know I'm must be missing a master fuse and I have followed the Electrical Schematic that I found. If anyone has any recommendations.

Could the ground at the key ignition cause a total electrical failure.
That's strange. Did you get it resolved? I have a resettable breaker on the positive side of the battery that connected to the small red wire. It needed to be replaced, and it fixed my problem. But with my situation, I didn't have any power to any of the accessories. For your situation, I am stumped. Sorry.

Hi!

I am a newbie here. Bought my first boat in May and finally got it on the water this week.

It's a Bennington 2016 SX22 Fish and Cruise.

I disconnected my negative two leads to the battery yesterday and reconnected them today and none of my accessories turn on (e.g. livewells, horns, fish finders, etc.)

Could this be a blown fuse? If so, where would this be located? Behind the dash?

Thanks for any help.

Todd
Why did you disconnect the negative leads? Issue? I would start with looking at the leads you disconnected!

That's strange. Did you get it resolved? I have a resettable breaker on the positive side of the battery that connected to the small red wire. It needed to be replaced, and it fixed my problem. But with my situation, I didn't have any power to any of the accessories. For your situation, I am stumped. Sorry.

It is very strange, I do have an accessory wire for lights, horn, radio. That was what I forgot to disconnect when I was charging my battery. Long story short I have power at every switch however none of these items work, this is what does not make any sense to my brain. I have an appointment at Montana Boat Center to find this issue on Thursday and I'm sure it is an easy fuse (that I need to learn the location of). Life is good and this too will get figured out. When I know what was the problem I will post the cure.

It is very strange, I do have an accessory wire for lights, horn, radio. That was what I forgot to disconnect when I was charging my battery. Long story short I have power at every switch however none of these items work, this is what does not make any sense to my brain. I have an appointment at Montana Boat Center to find this issue on Thursday and I'm sure it is an easy fuse (that I need to learn the location of). Life is good and this too will get figured out. When I know what was the problem I will post the cure.

Where are you getting ground to test for power??? Sounds like a ground issue at battery???

Why did you disconnect the negative leads? Issue? I would start with looking at the leads you disconnected!
I am a newbie and my friend who is an experienced boater disconnected my negative lead to the battery. He was concerned that there could be an accidental drain on the battery since I don't have a master battery kill switch. I think when he disconnected the black he damaged the resettable breaker.

I am a newbie and my friend who is an experienced boater disconnected my negative lead to the battery. He was concerned that there could be an accidental drain on the battery since I don't have a master battery kill switch. I think when he disconnected the black he damaged the resettable breaker.
All is good. I replaced the resettable breaker and all works. :)

Here is another possible cure for anyone unable to power up accessories at the console. It's one of those "this happened to me" occurrences. I tried resetting the breaker at the battery as well as testing other remedies mentioned previously. Culprit was a switch located below the ignition and kill switch. If the dealer mentioned it at delivery, I don't remember. I can barely even see it down there, and can only guess that my lovely first mate accidentally switched it off while diligently cleaning the Benny. Hey, I have to blame it on somebody other than me! Hope this helps someone. Safe Boating!

Back