Low idles noise

BucketsII

Reaction score
So I got my Bennington 23slxdx yesterday and today we took it for a spin. It ran great but the Yamaha 4 stroke F150LB does not like to run at anything below 1200 rpm. I cannot dock safely in my canal with engine this high and when I have it around 800 RPM it sounds like my old 2 stroke did when it had not engaged in gear fully. Sounds like gears grinding. It idles ok on neutral, this is only when i put a load on it. A friend suggested that the dealer needs to adjust. Any opinions?

Attachments

• 20180310_174033.jpg
    20180310_174033.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 43
  • 20180310_174040.jpg
    20180310_174040.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20180310_174051.jpg
    20180310_174051.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20180310_174112.jpg
    20180310_174112.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 41
I believe your friend is correct.

Call your dealer

Something is amiss!

I agree. Wouldn't want to use it with that situation described. Sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

Definitely calling dealer tomorrow just wanted to see if anyone has run into this before. Thanks

Call your dealer, needs adjust or repair for sure! By the way.... sharp looking boat!!

Thank you! I navigated very well. Very impressed how it took other boats wakes.

Sure it's not just prop rattle???

Do you have a stainless prop?

Yes a stainless mercury 15p was installed on it. I was just on YouTube and it sounds just like prop chatter. Is this bad for engine? Sounds terrible to me.

Yes a stainless mercury 15p was installed on it. I was just on YouTube and it sounds just like prop chatter. Is this bad for engine? Sounds terrible to me.
You need a flo-torq IV hub kit.

Will try it. Is it something I can install myself or do I need to take to prop shop?

If you can take the prop off, you can change the hub. Just a couple parts. Follow the directions. Be sure to get the 4.

And yes, that's prop chatter. Not bad for the engine, just sounds bad.

Wait!!! Go back to the dealer and tell them you want the yamaha SDS hub and reliance prop (15") on it. My yamaha F200 came stock with the SDS hub and it is amazing. No prop chatter at all and smooth shifting. Takes the loud clunk out of shifting into gear.

I just contacted my dealer and asked him to switch the prop to the Yamaha Reliance SDS prop 15P. If he will not do then I will by the merc flo-torq IV hub kit. Carl, in case I have to get the hub kit, what you are saying is that i use the same brass parts that are on the prop now and just replace the hub and the piece that slides in?

I just contacted my dealer and asked him to switch the prop to the Yamaha Reliance SDS prop 15P. If he will not do then I will by the merc flo-torq IV hub kit. Carl, in case I have to get the hub kit, what you are saying is that i use the same brass parts that are on the prop now and just replace the hub and the piece that slides in?
Yes. The black pieces and plenty of waterproof grease. The thrust washer will be different.

Back