Low rpm

Pager

Reaction score
I have a 40 hp Yamaha on my 2017 toon with a 11 3/8 prop I can only get to about 3200 RPM wot. Took it to the shop they said they put in a tub and got over 6000 rpm wot. Went to the lake same thing 3200 rpm. Need help.

Is there is a way to adjust the throttle linkage on your boat.  Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me can comment on this.

I'm no rocket scientist, but I would think a prop in a tub of water is much different than a prop pushing a 2500+ lb. object. The prop gurus on here will chime in and get you straightened out ........

I'm not a prop guy but it sounds for all the world like you ended up with the wrong one. Lowering the pitch will increase your RPMs but in this case you might also need a smaller diameter as well. Obviously, the best thing would be for your dealer to send someone out for a real world test. Otherwise, perhaps take a video with your phone. Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it this dealer is not on a body of water to get everyone together at once? Next time you're out take a video showing the throttle all the way down, and the tach. If a photo is worth 1000 words, a video should be worth....1015, 1017 maybe.

I have the same boat. Took delivery in early May. My prop is a 12.25 X 9g. My best rpm is 4800 at WOT. I am not happy with that. I think I need a smaller prop. I have 15.5 hrs and will take it in at 20 hrs. I noticed that the throttle arm is .25 inches off the throttle stop at WOT. I did not see how to adjust the linkage. This could be part of the problem. I agree that running the motor in a tube is not nearly the same as pushing a boat.

My best mph has been 16, with the Bimini top in place and the bow door closed. I think a 12 x 8 prop should be right. I have emailed Bennington so I can print their response and take it to my dealer. In your case I think you should check your linkage at WOT to see if it fully open. 

I like the idea of seeing if the dealer will send someone out to do some on the water in real life tests with you. We just had someone out from our dealer today to work with me on trying to dial in our setup and performance.  In person was very beneficial.

In lieu of that, the video idea is good too so you can take it in to them. I wish I had good technical advice, but unfortunately I am new to all of this and reliant on this group in these areas myself.  Good luck!

I like the idea of seeing if the dealer will send someone out to do some on the water in real life tests with you. We just had someone out from our dealer today to work with me on trying to dial in our setup and performance.  In person was very beneficial.

In lieu of that, the video idea is good too so you can take it in to them. I wish I had good technical advice, but unfortunately I am new to all of this and reliant on this group in these areas myself.  Good luck!

I'm curious, what came out of the visit with the tech?

Took my Benny in and after telling them I had contacted Bennington they are replacing the prop but they also had to get a new bemini top and replace the two from pedistools the plastic fitting broke. I've only had my Benny a month and I'm wondering if  I made the right choice.

Took my Benny in and after telling them I had contacted Bennington they are replacing the prop but they also had to get a new bemini top and replace the two from pedistools the plastic fitting broke. I've only had my Benny a month and I'm wondering if  I made the right choice.

Hopefully it will all be made right for you. It sounds like Bennington is on top of it 

I'm curious, what came out of the visit with the tech?

It went great!  Service tech brought 3 props: 13, 15, 17 ss enertia's.  Went over everything dock side.  Test drove original 11 pitch enertia.  Then tried out the 13 and 15 where I stopped - satisfied.  We also went over engine mount and cavitation plate during the process (which were where they needed to be).

Played around with engine trim at 20 mph, 30 mph, and WOT during our test drives.

Got it all worked out to my satisfaction.  Ended up just moving up to the 15 pitch ss enertia prop, and adjusting my trim levels when hammering the throttle.  Top end at WOT:

Updated: 44-45 mph gps at 6200 RPM's.  4 people, 2/3's tank of gas.

I've only had my Benny a month and I'm wondering if  I made the right choice.

New owner too. I can appreciate your concern. At least it sounds like they are getting you taken care of now that you reached out to Bennington.

How much of the issue do you think is the actual Bennington vs. the dealership/service department?  Do you have a convenient alternative dealer/service shop that you can try?

In the end, I am sorry to hear your ownership is starting out bumpy. I hope it improves. Bennington has a great warranty, and I have heard numerous stories of how well they stand by their customers.  That's one of the main reason we went with them this year ourselves.  

Hopefully once your issues are ironed out, it will be smooth cruising for you for a long time. Pic's when you get a chance?!  ;)

We've had our boat for 11 ears and never broke any of the bimini hardware. Are you doing something incorrectly when opening or closing?

It went great!  Service tech brought 3 props: 13, 15, 17 ss enertia's.  Went over everything dock side.  Test drove original 11 pitch enertia.  Then tried out the 13 and 15 where I stopped - satisfied.  We also went over engine mount and cavitation plate during the process (which were where they needed to be).

Played around with engine trim at 20 mph, 30 mph, and WOT during our test drives.

Got it all worked out to my satisfaction.  Ended up just moving up to the 15 pitch ss enertia prop, and adjusting my trim levels when hammering the throttle.  Top end at WOT:

40-41 mph gps at 6000-6100 RPM's.  2 guys, nearly full tank of gas.

Spicer's really came out and did that for you? Guess we didn't spend enough...

Spicer's really came out and did that for you? Guess we didn't spend enough...

They did. I guess I just assumed they would do that for anyone that asked on a new boat purchase. Were they not willing to do that with you when you got your boat...?

In fairness, I did not specifically ask that they do so. However, when I mentioned the possibility, the response was not positive, shall I say. Once I get her back this year, I might be tempted to make a such a request given your experience.  

In fairness, I did not specifically ask that they do so. However, when I mentioned the possibility, the response was not positive, shall I say. Once I get her back this year, I might be tempted to make a such a request given your experience.  

They didn't jump at the suggestion, but they did it. When I brought it up, the service people were skeptical, almost dismissive. I like the tech I worked with, but he did stress they work hard to dial them in. He questioned "who" I was getting advice from and I could tell questioned my performance expectations.

That said, I politely stuck to my guns in wanting to try some different props, and they came out and "entertained" my request. In the end it paid off. The tech was nice, and acknowledged being a little surprised that a change ended up being necessary.

I know they were skeptical, and I could sense they thought it was all a waste of time.  However, they did it, and it paid off. I hope they do the same for you. Nothing to loss by giving it a try...let me know how it goes.

Back