Maiden Voyage to Lake Powell

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I didn't think I was going to be able to try out the new boat for a few more weeks, but the weather was looking pretty good and I just couldn't stop looking at her in the driveway, taunting me to make the 292-mile one-way drive it would take to find water that wasn't covered in ice. Below are some photos from the trip, particularly the ones of the boat. I wanted to post more but the site won't allow it and I'm not a fan of the gallery format. Yo Bennington - why so stingy with the photo limits when they aren't even hosted on your site?  :) I posted a complete trip report on my website with lots more photos that you can see by clicking here. I didn't get much into the boat discussion on my site since it's not really about it, but I gotta say - WOW, am I impressed with this boat! We loaded it up pretty good. I figure probably around 800-900 pounds of people, dogs and gear, and I was still getting 21mph at 5900 rpm WOT. My specs are 22 SSX, 25" tubes, Yamaha F90, Quicksilver 14x11 prop. That seems pretty good to me for the load. What do you guys think? It will be interesting to see what kind of difference I see when it isn't loaded when I can take it out on some water closer to home. 

lake-powell-halls-creek-6.jpg

lake-powell-halls-creek-9.jpg

lake-powell-halls-creek-17.jpg

lake-powell-halls-creek-18.jpg

lake-powell-halls-creek-22.jpg

lake-powell-halls-creek-24.jpg

lake-powell-halls-creek-28.jpg

lake-powell-halls-creek-31.jpg

lake-powell-halls-creek-33.jpg

More photos and trip report on my website. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photos! Speechless! This is before your time here but you just replaced an old member with those photos!

Awesome pics and report.

Lol Andy. Don't tarnish this thing of beauty!

Hehe. Thanks, guys. I think I figured that out after digging through enough old threads. I'm glad you like the pics. 

We don't like them, we love them! Keep them coming!

They are Fantastic.  Keep them coming!

Wow! Just gorgeous!

OMG !!!!

Gee who ???

KEEP ON POSTING PICS LIKE THIS !!!!

Thanks sooooo much for sharing and giving us the website to check out the others. Will be looking forward to more when the weather breaks.

David

Beautiful pics, if only Powell was in Nebraska!!!

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!

WOW!  It will take me a while to stop looking at the lake and actually notice there is a boat in there somewhere! :lol:

Awsome lake, and awsome toon as well!

Nick,

What camera you using?

I have a Sony SLTA33 and a Fuji SL1000, plus another 3-4 point & shoot ...... And I'm still not getting pics like yours. Do you shoot RAW and adjust them? If so, what program do you use?

I use a Canon 6D, usually with the 16-35 f2.8 L II or the 24-105 f4 L lens. I think I had the 16-35 on for most of these. I shoot everything in RAW and then do light editing in Apple Aperture. Adobe Lightroom is also a good piece of software for it (probably better), but my work flow is in Aperture so I haven't switched. RAW images usually come out a little desaturated with a bit of a low contrast look so I typically add a bit of vibrancy and definition, then bump the shadows a bit and play with the exposure, but not much else. If the light is challenging like in that pothole arch, I'll take a brush and dodge (lighten) the dark areas so it's exposed a little better. 

It would be nice to live somewhere where there is something to take a picture of...

Right now, all my pictures turn out white.

kaydano,did you take the camera out of the shopping bag?

Back