Maiden voyage today

Wild and Free

Reaction score
Well after looking at my new rig for 9 months i finally got it on the water for the 1st time today. Very nimble and easy to manuver and turn versus my old 2007 2275 GL triple tube with strakes both sides of all 3 tubes. But the new boat with the same engine from my old rig has its hands full with the ESP package with 60 gallons of fuel. I could run 5800 rpms and 38-40 easy with last rig, this one being a lot heavier works the 150 Yamaha a lot harder and I could only muster 5200 best with full tank of fuel and 2 people on board, didn't have my GPS unit with for speed measurement today though but seems to still feel around 35 mph. I now know that a 225 would be a better match to this boat but the 150 handled it well for now. I would definately not suggest anything smaller than a 150 for a 22 foot ESP boat. Very solid quiet and comfortable all around and nothing i could even find to nit pick for the first time in the water other than my wifes choice of Black for a color, Now I have an extremely water spotted rig.

My 07 150 Yamaha has the factory Yama prop 15 X 15 in Black stainless for reference.

The ESP doesn't plane out as easily or as quickly as the standard triple tube but does ride just as well but the nimbleness and easy of manuverability more than makes up for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your beautiful Bennie. I've seen it in previous posts and another forum and hopefully you will grow to love that color (even with water spots). I am curious as to whether you think this prop is right for your new boat and if you are going to try anything different. I am asking because our boats are similar (size, weight, esp, and center fuel tank)and I think I want a stainless prop but not sure what size, pitch etc. Currently running an aluminum prop on my yamaha 250hp SHO but think the performance can improve.

Thanks for the compliments, I do love black just don't like the time it takes to upkeep.

I may try another but i first want to GPS the speed and also see how it handles the rig with 1/2 tank of fuel. I fueled it up for the first time and it actually took 63 gallons to fill and that with the couple the dealer put in to prime the fuel system. Cell says 59 gallons but with the tubing and expansion of the fuel cell I suppose its about right. My 150 came with an aluminum 15 X15 prop and after hitting a log and bending it, I bought a yamaha black stainless in same size pitch and keep the repaired alum prop for a spare. If I do not see over 5500 rpms even with lighter load I will probably try some different props. The dealer claims they will let me try some different ones. I want to see how this one does over the summer before I start swapping but only seeing 5200 rpms I think I need a different pitch to get it up closer to 5800. I need to try pulling some tubes and skier to give it a good test before ditching the 15 X 15 which was a perfect match for the last boat.

Not sure where to go from there? Anyone have an opinion I would like to hear it.

If things go ok over the next year I may just upgrade to a 225 HO next spring. Time will tell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back