Maintaining Bimini Tops and Playpen/Mooring cover

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
Copied from TB post in helpful hints thread .......

Here are a few helpful tips to help extend the life of your bimini top and playpen cover.

PROPER STORAGE:

We recommend storing your bimini top in the radar position with the boot zipped completely into place. This helps prevent wind, sun and foul weather damage over time. Remember...your top is comparable to a large market umbrella...keep it buttoned up when not in use!

When the playpen cover is fully installed, Bennington "forces" the proper storage position of your bimini top by not offering forward strut cut-outs in the playpen cover. (An ah-ha moment!)

Use all tent poles under your playpen cover, and tighten them securely. The playpen cover helps keep your boat dry and clean, but it is not 100% moisture proof and it is NOT a winter weather cover. A playpen cover is not designed to support heavy piles of snow and ice, or any other additional weight. Owners in severe winter climates should consider inside storage or shrinkwarp each winter.

PROPER CLEANING:

Cleaning your bimini top and storage cover regularly will help maintain that "new boat" look. The fabric can be cleaned to prevent soil build-up by simply brushing off any loose dirt and hosing down with fresh water. (Sunny days help it dry more quickly!) For dirt build-up, use a mild detergent (like dish soap) and fresh warm water. Never use solvents to clean the canvas.

303 High Tech Fabric Guard is a wonderful product to help protect your clean, dry canvas. We found it at West Marine and Overtons.com.

HAULING WITH CANVAS:

If you are hauling your Bennington, be sure the bimini top is locked in the radar position or trailering-strut position with the boot securely in place.

UPDATE NOTE JUNE 2012 REGARDING HAULING: Bennington does NOT recommend towing with your playpen cover installed. The playpen cover is a "mooring cover" for use when the boat is moored at the dock or stored on the trailer. Although you could easily haul at low speeds/short distances many times and never have an issue, it's the 1 in 100 situation that can catch you. The fabric is durable, but snap-whip from a loosened snap, snap-strain from high speed towing, and various other situations can cause damage to your cover. Use common sense when hauling! Please review your state's boat trailering laws for more information

Good info SemperFi

Thanks for the info SemperFi.

Good stuff, thanks SemperiFi. I have a question regarding playpen covers. My Bennington is setting in a lift at Lake Cumberland in Ky. The cover is black in color and covered with pollen. Pollen is very bad here this time of year. The boat is brand new as is the cover. Any suggestions how to this stuff off. I don't want to put the cover away with it covered In pollen.

Soap, water and a brush.

I payed for the playpen storage bag (~$20)in my build as a separate line item if I recall.

I only got a clear plastic bag that has already torn.

Is this the correct storage bag or is there something a little more rugged?

Mine looked like a " Mesh beach bag "

Never was able to fit the cover into it .

It is a nice bag for wet towels & such .

I'll take a pic .

Here it is .

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know how to get a new bimini top? Went on line to company listed on tag but only can find seating. Any suggestions.

My Bimini top tag states

Lexington Corporation part # 767769 Description Bimini Top/boot , 25183 8.5x10

I just had my first snap break on the cover of my new 2014 pontoon. Any suggestions on how to fix/replace the snap? I dont want to let it go and risk having it flap in the wind and damage the pontoon.

I just had my first snap break on the cover of my new 2014 pontoon. Any suggestions on how to fix/replace the snap? I dont want to let it go and risk having it flap in the wind and damage the pontoon.
Snap Repair Kit

The repair kit has the little anvil to manually install the snaps, but the tool Carl referenced is really nice ($$$). Dealer or upholstery shop will have one and it only takes a couple minutes to do.

The cover is Not  meant for towing 

The cover is Not meant for towing
No matter what your dealer says. Cause apparently there are quite a few telling people they can. (Low speed local, probably. High speed long distance, NO)

ok, I have that and it's way to small. LOL

didn't know that was it's intended purpose
How are you rolling/folding top. I have a 2275 RLi and I can roll my top neatly the size of a sleeping bag. I can easily fit it into the mesh bag.

We haven't used ours yet.  In the Summer heat our boat usage is usually only boat rides in the morning or evening.

I have washed Sunbrella mooring covers in industrial size washing machines using warm water and mild detergent with great results over many years. Can I do the same with a Surlast cover without hurting it?

Back