Maintaining Bimini Tops and Playpen/Mooring cover

Ref your article maintaining bimini tops and playpen/mooring covers, you stated in part:

When the playpen cover is fully installed, Bennington "forces" the proper storage position of your bimini top by not offering forward strut cut-outs in the playpen cover. (An ah-ha moment!)

I have a 2015 SLX 21 pontoon boat. Because there are only four strut cut-outs in my playpen cover, instead of six, I am unable to safely leave the six strut bimini top in the raised position and install the playpen cover correctly. I find having to raise and lower/store my bimini top everytime I want to use my boat is a nuisance and a waste of 20-30 minutes. Six cu-touts, instead of four would greatly reduce the time needed to get the boat ready. Older Bennington's had the six cut-outs in the playpen covers, and they worked just fine. The warranty department at Bennington calls this a custom cover, but does not state leaving the bimini top in the raised position for a few days as not safe. What exactly, is wrong with leaving the bimini top in the up position? Thanks.

20-30 minutes?

I think another part of it is it keeps the top in radar position not just to extend the life of the bimini but also to prevent them from going down the road in an open position. Many already tow with the playpen cover on which is a no no.

I have an older Benny and only have 4 cutouts for the bimini. Have an outside shop make them for you.

Does anyone know who Bennington uses for bimini hardware? i bought a bimini for the front pen and they didn't ship the rail parts. attempts to get them to send more have failed. The dealer can't get them to sent them either. Its a good pontoon but their customer service fails.

So what is happening? You bought an additional bimini and they are not providing all the parts?

Love the look of your boat woodhog.  I think the clad arch is definitely the sharpest look of all but I always thought you do give up the shade due to that small bimini.  You obviously want more but I wonder what the front bimini will look like on that beauty.  Please be sure to post some pix after the installation

If that supplier is the same as my Arch .It is not Benningtons fault .

They had a hard time getting the Bimini and the hardware from the supplier when I ordered mine . If I remember correctly ,it was about 6-7 weeks after delivery .

Fortunately for us we dont use the Bimini .

My Benny is now going into its 4th season. My problem is MOLD. The boot had mold on it last year and in the corners of the Bimini mold had developed. We washed both but the mold was still there. Last Mon. took them both out of my attic storage and found the mold had spread over the inside of the bimini.We decided to replace both. My problem started because I always left the frame down on the lower legs not in the radar position an water got in under the boot and sat there creating the mold on both. $600.00 lesson learned.

If I keep the older boot and bimini is there a way of cleaning the up. I'm afraid if I use a bleach it'll eat the material. As they are now I could use them in emergancy

Highpond, in case you want to give it one last try before spending $600 Remedition had some good luck with this product, look at his before & after pix

I just purchased my first boat, a Bennington pontoon. What is the purpose of the strap that runs across the back of the dock cover? After I cover the boat I just hook the strap across the back, but there is so much length to the strap I feel like I am not using it for the right reason. Also, the strap is all frayed on the ends.

Pontoon01.jpg

The strap is for you to put it over the Bimini top and connect it so it holds the playpen cover up and tight so the water doesn't pool on it when it rains.....

Last edited by a moderator:
The strap is for you to put it over the Bimini top and connect it so it holds the playpen cover up and tight so the water doesn't pool on it when it rains.....

But be careful, as my Bimini boot is being replaced due to the strap wearing through the boot fabric. I now just loop mine over my anchor light post. 

Thanks. So if I prefer to not put the cover on the Bimini, I can use the strap to hold the Bimini closed without it's cover. Being 5'10", I find I need to stand on my seats to get the Bimini cover on. Tricky when the Lake is rough.  

I just purchased my first boat, a Bennington pontoon. What is the purpose of the strap that runs across the back of the dock cover? After I cover the boat I just hook the strap across the back, but there is so much length to the strap I feel like I am not using it for the right reason. Also, the strap is all frayed on the ends.

View attachment 1480

Welcome! Nice looking vessel you have there. Enjoy...

I want to treat my playpen cover with 303 High Tech Fabric Guard, can I do it when it's on the boat? Or is there a better way?

Remove it from the boat. You don't want that on the paint or vinyl.

Back