Max Speed W/ Bimini Top Raised?

David G

Reaction score
What is max safe speed with top up? I modified my old Bimini by reversing the cheapo plastic tabs to face against the top and that worked great. New boat was supposed to come with the extra straps but did not.

On my frame of the bimini there is a sticker that says don't exceed 30 mph (this is with the top open). I'm sure it can withstand more than that, but not sure how much more.

We have been in the mid 30's-40 with the Bimini up. There are some members who have been way faster.....

Wide open at 38 with mine.

Wide open at 48 with mine with the wind. Against the wind 40.

We just had ours out for the second time and, with just the wife, dog and I, and one of our two bimini's up, we hit 49.5. I've done 47 before with 4 people, the dog and both tops up. Probably shouldn't do that. I got no need to go that fast anyways. I can watch the fuel gauge move when I'm hitting those speeds.
Scott

I've been over 40 multiple times with both tops up. But don't go that fast into the wind.

Bumping this thread for any new input or changes.

Trying to avoid the hassle of it up and down...Would love to be able to keep it up once I drop into the water and keep the Bimini up on the water the entire day (Texas heat). I have a 175 hp so it tops at 40mph without the Bimini up, so with it up, its going to be slower. Its a non curved, non powered base Bimini.

Is everyone still having good success in the 30s with the Bimini up and raised?

The problem is, Bimini's can act like air foils. That is, depending on each individual design, length, width, curvature, and more, they can have an affect on how the boat performs. When that happens, there can and often is, some serious strain on bimini mounting points. Some can push down on those mount points and some will potentially LIFT on those mount points. Our boat is easily capable of 50 mph with its 350HP Yamaha. But, the double bimini that came with it, has a tag right near the center top bar that states, the speed with the Bimini's up should NOT EXCEED 15 MPH!

Now, 15 mph is like walking. So, we often are at speeds of 25-35 with both Bimini's up. I'm pretty sure the engineers that design those Bimini's and stipulate the limits of speed during full deployed Bimini's, take into account that folks will meet and surpass those speed limits. But, they've got to put out those limits for the company liability. Yep, it's a pain to put up and take down, just because you know you're going to exceed the speed limits of the deployed Bimini's. Just because 99.9999% of us get away with over speeding the *supposed* speed limits of our Bimini's, doesn't mean it's ok to do it. It just means we've gotten away with it so far, without damage or ramifications.

There are multiple brands and makers of Bimini's out there. Some are stronger and made considerably better than others. Ours is square tubing and is quite strong and well built. But, we've had friends that say theirs was broken within 2-3 times out with their new boats. (Not Benningtons) They say their tubing was seriously weak.
Scott

Bumping this thread for any new input or changes.

Trying to avoid the hassle of it up and down...Would love to be able to keep it up once I drop into the water and keep the Bimini up on the water the entire day (Texas heat). I have a 175 hp so it tops at 40mph without the Bimini up, so with it up, its going to be slower. Its a non curved, non powered base Bimini.

Is everyone still having good success in the 30s with the Bimini up and raised?
My wife had a bout with skin cancer a couple years ago. When we are on the boat the double Bimini is up. When our boat went in the water last April the bimini's were up until October. The only time we took it down is when we went under a couple bridges.

Clearly the Double Bimini has a much lower “labeled” speed limit. Mine also says 15mph. I am careful though. The thought of adding a couple of Straps is an interesting idea. Move some of the stress from the top rail down to the fence.

My wife had a bout with skin cancer a couple years ago. When we are on the boat the double Bimini is up. When our boat went in the water last April the bimini's were up until October. The only time we took it down is when we went under a couple bridges.
Perfect. My wife has had skin issues as well and the more I can keep her covered, the better. Thanks for the info

Also depends if you have an automatic/electric bimini. I lower mine down and secure with the stands when I'm doing 50+ runs, but running around I'm comfortable with bimini raised up to 35-40. Bimini open I always have the straps that came with it attached to the front, and then I don't go over 30.

Also depends if you have an automatic/electric bimini. I lower mine down and secure with the stands when I'm doing 50+ runs, but running around I'm comfortable with bimini raised up to 35-40. Bimini open I always have the straps that came with it attached to the front, and then I don't go over 30.
Automatic/Electric???? Wow, never seen or heard of those on ANY pontoon/tri-toon or ANY boat for that matter. Didn't know they exist. As for "straps", we don't have those either. Our double Biminis are solid lock system only. They tighten the fabric by sliding adjustment bars in a given direction.
Scott

Attachments

• First ride, 4-22-20 .jpg
    First ride, 4-22-20 .jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 19
We love the power bimini. Push button operation is very nice for lazy people such as myself. ;)

We love the power bimini. Push button operation is very nice for lazy people such as myself. ;)
I can add that to my "regret" list, not getting the power Bimini. But it balanced out with the fact im so glad I added the center toon storage and the extended aft deck. Both are game changers

Ill be curious to see what the "max speed" listed is on my Bimini next time at the lake and then I can extrapolate from that...

I can add that to my "regret" list, not getting the power Bimini. But it balanced out with the fact im so glad I added the center toon storage and the extended aft deck. Both are game changers

Ill be curious to see what the "max speed" listed is on my Bimini next time at the lake and then I can extrapolate from that...
Yeah just like when I saw the warning on the base of our table in our old boat......Do not exceed 15 mph. Ha!

If it is any consolation, the center toon storage and extended aft deck are much more practical. :)

Back