Melted black plastic? Dripped from what seems depth finder - 2003 Benny

Attached are photos of the issue I'm having. Per dealer, "The individual who wrote this doesn’t understand transducers. The “voltage” associated with a transducer is mini volts, certainly not enough to cause anything you are concerned with."

Unless it was wired wrong somehow, ..... ;)

Pics Tara.

You might have to pull the unit off or out of the console, might be a label on the backside. At this point, the expanded features you get from a new model might make it worth updating. GPS, water & air temp, mph, fish, depth.

I'd have to agree with Matt on this one. If the current unit is older and you cannot even tell what it is and all it is is a depth finder , upgrading will give you so much more! The only thing I can see is a new one being a bugger to fit in the spot your old one is. Everything else would be a huge bonus by upgrading.

Take Humminbird for example because that is what I'm familiar with...
Something like a Helix 5 might fit into the console. It will have a nice color screen , depth , fish finder , water temp , and gps/navigation. I've got a Helix 7 with all the bells and whistles and the gps/navigation is awesome and it's built in. Lake specific maps can be added if desired also but that is mainly for fishing purposes. A Helix 5 can be had pretty cheap at Cabela's , Bass Pro , etc. and might not be a lot more money than fixing the old unit you have and will be 10x more capable.

Here is a Helix 5 with gps for $329 and could likely be found elsewhere cheaper...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/hom...ird-helix-chirp-di-gps-g/2418552.uts?slotId=4

Plenty of people here to help you out with whichever direction you go.

My 2001 Benny came from the factory with a round, in dash depth sounder that looked like this. The model on this one is Humminbird HDR 610 P / HDR 650 406480-1P:

depth sounder.jpg

Pic is from Amazon, but that model is currently available. But there are newer versions available for around $100.

Will post a photo when I can grab one - last night, was showing my neighbor our "new to us" 2003 Benny - he noticed a black stringy material right below the depth finder (almost looked like silly string). The depth finder seemed to have a bit of a gooey feeling at the bottom. The boating neighbor thought it might have short-circuited and melted? Any advice? I do have a 60-day major mechanic warranty through the dealer - any ideas what might have caused this? Haven't gone out yet to see if it's working..it was when we came in)
Bennington used a Techtronic depth finder in 2003. This was a subsidiary of Hummingbird. My transducer looked identical to yours on my 2003 fsi. It also melted after years of use.

Normally I wouldn't hold a used boat dealer accountable for accessory electronics failures on a boat of that age, but I believe this problem should have been remedied before you took possession. That problem didn't just happen overnight since you took the boat home. It should be a relatively inexpensive fix.

Back