Mercury Active Trim

Tom K

Reaction score
I have a 2017 24 SSRCX Mercury 150 tritoon that I use at Norris Lake, TN with the kids for water sports. One of the issues I have is keeping up the speed in the turns while pulling the tube.

Does anybody have Active Trim on a pontoon and does it help with keeping speeds in the corners?

The cost is roughly $1000 installed and I was hoping the fuel savings would help offset the cost. My wife is also finally interested in driving the boat, so the simplicity might be good for her.

Welcome to the forum Tom. When we ski, tube, wakeboard, etc we keep the trim all the way down and we don't lose any speed when we turn.

After many outings pulling a tube with the grands I learned to keep the trim down.

Last edited:
I agree, keeping your trim all the way down, but you may want to look at your prop also. When cornering hard some will slip therefore reducing speed.

Gotta ask, what is Active Trim? Is it manfuacturer specific, or third party for any motor manufacturer? Is it something that basically “auto-pilots” your trim to maintain the same boating speed/propulsion? Is it something else altogether?

Gotta ask, what is Active Trim? Is it manfuacturer specific, or third party for any motor manufacturer? Is it something that basically “auto-pilots” your trim to maintain the same boating speed/propulsion? Is it something else altogether?

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/steering/active-trim/

Personally I don't really think it would be worth it for what it costs. I would think looking into a 4 blade prop (if you have a 3 blade) might help hold your speed thru the turns.

Last edited:

Active Trim adjusts the trim for you based on GPS speed and not propeller RPM. In theory, it would adjust for cornering better and quicker than I could.

Back