Mercury outboard cleaning

Sparkyduc

Reaction score
We have our Bennington 25SSBXPA on Lake Texoma on the Texas/Oklahoma border. The lake has a high salt content. The engine is a Mercury 250 V8. I got a splash cover for it but I wanted to clean and wax it first. It has hard water spots on the cowling that I want to get off but I don’t want to scratch it. It’s only 3 months old but it looks like it’s 5. Any suggestions? Thanks

IMG_20200612_163220916.jpgTry a little vinegar and water to get the spots out. Then wax the crap out of it! Just did 2 coats .......

I've used simple liquid Turtle wax for years on everything I own. From my wife's Cadillac to my little 2003 Chevy S10 (I'll never get rid of) to all 3 boats we have owned and first outboard we've ever had!

I've had good luck with Hot Sauce water spot remover. The bass guys in my area swear by it.

After a couple of uses it helped to prevent new water spots.

I haven't tried the Hot Sauce (although a lot of people love it) but vinegar and water seem to work well for me. I've bought all kinds of wax and high tech ceramic stuff, but the water spots return right after I use the boat. As such, I've sworn that next time there will be no black engine for me!

Back