Mercury Throttle Control Tensioning

ImTinkerbella

Reaction score
throttlecontrol.jpg Our Benny has a 2018 90 elpt EFI Mercury motor, and the throttle control tension/friction is far too loose.

We didn't receive any documentation from the dealer with our boat last year which explains "where" to adjust the tension.

I searched online, but almost everything pertains to Yamaha.

I called the dealer, and they said the screw is located at/near the pivot point for the controller. For the life of me, I cannot "find" said adjustment screw.

Here's a picture of our throttle control handle. Granted, we are very green to boating, so it may be very obvious to someone else... but does anyone else possibly have a clue "where" I should be looking?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
This looks like an adjustment hole to me?? See if there may be a regular screw or maybe an Allen screw up in there.

93100206-8FE5-4ED8-A40D-CF65AAD640B5.jpeg

This looks like an adjustment hole to me?? See if there may be a regular screw or maybe an Allen screw up in there.

View attachment 23111
I'll make my next trip out there with my flashlight, reading glasses and practice my yoga contortions to take another look. Ah, the joys of getting older...

Thanks for your idea (as well as responding in my other cross-posted thread); I'll post back either way (as I'm thinking I'm not the only one who will likely have this issue or question).

View attachment 23111

Bummer... that is just a reflection in the picture. Contortionist positions and sweltering conditions were not my friend. :/

Our only Benny dealership seems to be a bit clueless, so I've spent hours searching online in the interim.

It appears that Mercury came out with a service bulletin back in 2003 where they changed the control box module so adjustments can only be made at the engine (which should appear at the bottom of this post as a PDF file)... unless I want to pull the entire box, try my hand at disassembly and attempt to make any adjustments using YouTube as a guide.

tensioninginstructions.JPG

I'm in a Mayberry size place, and while our Benny is under warranty, I don't have a lot of faith in the experience of those at the only Benny dealer in town... (especially given their previous advice). We don't own a trailer, so hauling our boat elsewhere is not an option.

I did see that another forum member Kaydano posted something similar in 2012: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/throttle-control-lever-does-not-stay-put.1353/ so I will see if tightening the nut located on the opposite side of the control box will be of any help.

Anyway, thanks again for your suggestion. It was certainly worth a try!!

Attachments

• MercServiceBulletin.pdf
    318.1 KB · Views: 50
Not that I would expect anyone has been sitting on the edge of their seat breathlessly waiting for my follow up, but perhaps this will help someone else at another time... (especially since the tech at my dealership seemed to be clueless).

I actually received the information from a seller on Ebay of the same Mercury throttle controller box module. He was kind enough to take a photo of the instructions and verify that the location for tightening (or, conversely, loosening) the friction is a nut located under the helm where the box is largely concealed.

Just a tiny little adjustment (maybe a quarter of a turn), and all is well in the world.

I'm posting both photos here; one of the instructions, one of the actual controller box module (and nut) as seen from under the helm.

controlhandlefriction.JPG
frictioncontrolnut.JPG

Sorry I didn't see this earlier. Mine had held the adjustment for the last 6 years. Haven't had to meet with it since. Glad you figured it out.

Tinker, thanks for posting a follow up. It is frustrating to read a post that stops before a solution is found (or never updated). Glad you figured it out!

Tinker, thanks for posting a follow up. It is frustrating to read a post that stops before a solution is found (or never updated). Glad you figured it out!

Glad to be of service. It is Pixie Dust well utilized...

pixiedust.jpg

I understand what you mean about the frustration surrounding lack of follow up posts on many websites/forums... Fortunately, I've not found that to be the case here. (Nor do I want to be a contributor to that frustration, either.)

Hey tinker I think I thanked you in a PM. I never got around to making the adjustment but I’m doing it today. I had forgotten what to do then I remembered your post. Now with the permanency of all things internet I was able to find it again. Your efforts at coming back and updating your post with the answer to your own question is exactly what I needed. Had you not done this I’d me pulling my hair out still today. Your efforts are very appreciated!!

My adjustment has not changed. Going on 8 years since I adjusted it.

Hey tinker I think I thanked you in a PM. I never got around to making the adjustment but I’m doing it today. I had forgotten what to do then I remembered your post. Now with the permanency of all things internet I was able to find it again. Your efforts at coming back and updating your post with the answer to your own question is exactly what I needed. Had you not done this I’d me pulling my hair out still today. Your efforts are very appreciated!!

You're very welcome.

I know I've always appreciated when others have followed up and re-posted to their initial inquiry threads, so I thought it might be helpful to follow others' examples.

Back