metal fins off of motor pod box

2fast4u

Reaction score
I see several other brand pontoon boats that have metal pieces mounted on the left and right side of the center motor mounting box on outboard pontoon boats. I notice that Bennington does not do this . What is the purpose of these fins? To direct water spray down or possible to help lift the rear of the pontoon boat up at speed. Thanks

I would think it’s to keep the sloppy spray at a minimum with the 3/4 center log setups. Probably not an issue with three full size logs.

I would say more for spray but if mounted in such a way to add lift then there may be some benefit to helping the rear lift a bit but would only make a difference as speed is increased with higher hp motors that actually get the boat out of the water.

They are spray deflectors. I suppose technically spray hitting them would create a small amount of upward force, but spray doesn't really have much force behind it. If they wanted to design something to lift the rear they would attach it at the water line or below like lifting strakes.

Back