Michigan boating Laws and Safety Regulations 2019

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Boating season is upon us in the Midwest. Yeah!

The link below is a very nice listing of the main boater safety laws and regulations for the State of Michigan. Since there are so many of us in these forums from the Great Lake State, I thought I post it.

https://www.mymlsa.org/michigan-marine-law-boater-safety/

Thanks, Jeff! Learned something regarding overtaking another vessel. I thought it was done on the starboard side when in fact (where possible) it should be done to their port. Oh, how I wish more captains would educate themselves on the rules of the road...

Last edited:
Thanks, Jeff! Learned something regarding overtaking another vessel. I thought it was done on the starboard side when in fact (where possible) it should be done to their port. Oh, how I wish more captains would educate themselves on the rules of the road...

I learned 2 boating guidelines (one was yours above), and 1 other regulation (supposed to have a larger review mirror if towing in addition to a spotter). Now if I had only grabbed one of those PTM mirror’s when they were on sale for forum members. I didn’t because I didn’t anticipate getting our boat out this season...regrets, regrets. ;)

Back