Might Add Sea Legs After All

What would you do in my situation?

• Total voters

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Current Thinking:

I am once again considering adding Sea Legs on to our boat. Some might remember me thinking about doing it when we bought the boat last year. I instead got a really nice lift and canopy set up so as not to compromise boat performance, which is one of my top priorities.

Why Change?

I LOVE our Craftlander solar powered lift and canopy. It will kill me to sell it and potentially take a big loss on a 2 year old custom set up. However, our shore line water depth is working against it.

Case in point: when we got up to our cottage on 6/27, the lake level was ALREADY too low to get the boat off the lift. I had to dig out the back of our lift to sink it. That probably gets me 1-2 more weeks of boating.

I also bought a lift jack and wheel kit so I can move my lift further into the lake. However, I will have to move it 250’ out into the lake to get the depth we need. I will likely be doing this in the next week or two for the remainder of the boating season.

My Long Term Options:

Either I need to move my boat and lift 250’ into the lake seasonally, OR switch over to Sea Legs to park it dockside.

Benefits v Costs:

Moving the lift maintains my current boat performance and investment, while sacrificing dockside convenience and security. Adding Sea Legs maintains dockside convenience and security, while compromising performance and increases expenses.

Concerns Either Way:

(1) I don’t like the idea of having my lift and boat out 250’. I also don’t like the idea of walking that far out into the lake to get the boat vs. having it dockside - weak, but the truth. Finally, I don’t like taking a big financial loss on an otherwise awesome 2 year old lift/canopy set up.

(2) Likewise, if I switch over to Sea Legs, I don’t like the idea of adding any extra weight and potential drag onto the boat. I highly value boat performance. I also don’t like springing another 7.5k for the Sea Legs on a tritoon, and another 3k for a canopy after dropping about that much last year on our current lift set up.

Even though we are at a private marina ,we walk well over 250 ft .Yes it is a pain at times .There happened to be a Bennington at the sand bar last weekend with sea legs . I wanted to watch when they left ,but I didn't see them leave .

Even though we are at a private marina ,we walk well over 250 ft .Yes it is a pain at times .There happened to be a Bennington at the sand bar last weekend with sea legs . I wanted to watch when they left ,but I didn't see them leave .

I have yet to see one with Sea Legs in person; just videos on YouTube.

Just to clarify, walking 250’ isn’t so much the issue as doing so in cold water in the spring and fall here in Michigan. ;)

Tough decision. I just could not sacrifice performance of the boat. But you have to do what is right for you and your situation. Good luck.

My in-laws frontage on Glen Lake is so shallow their Benny is moored out in front of the cottage. So you walk through the cold water, everyone jumps on board and your's truly tea bags the lake to get it deep enough to jump on. Good times!!!!

Jeff, I'd move the lift out where it's usable and then see how you feel at the end of the season. I'd also cruise by the north shore state park from time to time and see if the guy with a set is there. Talked to him yesterday and he couldn't say enough about them. Black Sylvan tri-toon.

Jeff, I'd move the lift out where it's usable and then see how you feel at the end of the season. I'd also cruise by the north shore state park from time to time and see if the guy with a set is there. Talked to him yesterday and he couldn't say enough about them. Black Sylvan tri-toon.

Good idea on keeping an eye out for other boats with them on the lake! I think there are Two Benningtons and now the Sylvan you are speaking of that have them. That would be ideal - bet their direct thoughts, have them show me how it works, etc (if they are willing).

I will for sure move the lift out the rest of the season and see what I think. As stated above, both options have advantages and limitations...and I am totally indecisive about it right now. o_O

Not sure how shallow it is, but have you considered a vertical lift? That's what we had (ShoreStation) and it allowed us to go to a bit shallower water vs a cantilever type.

My neighbor had a very early version of Sea Legs, never been a fan myself.

Good idea on keeping an eye out for other boats with them on the lake! I think there are Two Benningtons and now the Sylvan you are speaking of that have them. That would be ideal - bet their direct thoughts, have them show me how it works, etc (if they are willing).

I will for sure move the lift out the rest of the season and see what I think. As stated above, both options have advantages and limitations...and I am totally indecisive about it right now. o_O
Yeah, I think I'd refrain from a decision just yet. If performance is your highest consideration by a good margin, you have to know that adding all that weight will have some effect on it. Maybe you can live with it and maybe you can't...

Not sure how shallow it is, but have you considered a vertical lift? That's what we had (ShoreStation) and it allowed us to go to a bit shallower water vs a cantilever type.

My current lift is a vertical lift due to how shallow our shore line is and how far out that shallowness extends. My hope at the time was that it would be enough to get by on, but sadly it still wasn’t. Live and learn, right? lol

Another option would be losing the bunk style and going with a deck lift setup on your current lift. Then you could have a lot less depth requirement.

Good point. If I removed the bunks and replaced with deck support, that’d probably be about 3 more inches right there. I gain 3-4 inches just digging and trenching out the leg supports. Thus, I have the potential of gaining 6-7 inches over its normal set up.

Not sure its enough to be a difference maker for the entire season, but certainly would be enough right now. I’ll have to take a closer look at that possibility. This is why its great tossing stuff out on this forum. Always different perspectives and helpful ideas.

Can you get or need a permit to move it 250’ out?

Can you get or need a permit to move it 250’ out?

Fortunately there is no permit needed for me to do this. It is also not totally uncommon on this lake as its so large but also rather shallow.

Well you know from prior conversations that I’m a big fan of Sea Legs but I thought I’d just let you know that I’m pleasantly surprised how stable the new boat is with the tritoon version. The last two boats that I had them on were 2 toon and I was very impressed how stable the boat was on the legs but the 2 toon version has much larger foot pads then the tritoon version. Now having the tritoon version they seem just as stable and love them.
We also have a shallow docking area and a regular style lift would be iffy. Plus I love the advantage of cruising over to the beach or a friends dock and having my lift with me. It’s also good for applying Sharkhide as I can lift the toons right out of the water and apply it without bunks being in the way. Just my 2 cents.

I thought you were extending your dock also .
I understand about the cold water . Burt Lake was 68, 2 weeks ago . (George Costanza )

I have yet to see one with Sea Legs in person; just videos on YouTube.

Just to clarify, walking 250’ isn’t so much the issue as doing so in cold water in the spring and fall here in Michigan. ;)

There’s nothing mentioned about getting in the water to get to the boat!! I’ve read most of threads on the sea legs and I understand the performance loss, convenience gain but it sounds like in the end you’ll be much happy with the sea legs. That where you started out in the beginning, dropped back to punt but are still questioning it. The financial loss stinks but in the end you’ll be able to spend that much more time you boat!! Just my 2 cents....... after finding out you have to get in the water!!!!!

We have sea-legs on our benny and we love them. They work realy good if you are pulling up to a local bar/restaurant or parking on sand bars

As always, I appreciate everyone’s two cents. I am collecting them and springing for a candy bar at the end of the week. :D

I find it helpful sorting out my own thoughts as I am a bit torn on it. We had thought about extending the dock out over time, put costs + effort/$ putting it in and taking it out every year have lead us away from that as an option. Thus, walking out to the lift or the Sea Legs, or modifying lift to gain a few more inches.

My admiral has weighed in and said I need to finish this season by moving the boat lift way out there. She is hopeful its not too big of a deal, and is more $ conscious. She is also entertaining the Sea Legs as an option, but not happy making the switch so soon after getting the lift last year.

She has also said she will be happy waiting dockside for me to pick her and the family/guests up at the dock. o_O

Back