MinnKota Electric on Bennington Pontoon

midshipexpress

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just acquired an '07 2275RL and am looking at a new (private sale) 24V 80lb thrust MinnKota with iPilot.   I was planning to bow mount for trolling.  

Does anyone have input on the capability of this motor?  Is it undersized for the boat?   I'm concerned my 90hp won't run slow enough for fishing. 

Thanks for for any help!

I'll be following this as I am planning on getting a trolling motor for mine in the future. From what I've read that will be plenty of power. If you pull the trigger let me know how you like it. Another member posted recently about using his new xi5 (motorguide) soon so I'll be following that as well. My buddy has the W55 (12v) setup on his big glass boat and it moves it along quite nicely. My 24sslx weighs less than his glass boat and has less surface area in the water (but more wind resistance) so I'm not sure how that would work on mine. I might build a mount and try his first to see how it does.

As for trolling at idle I move at 4mph. If I trim way up I can get down to 2ish. But then I'm making a lot of noise at the surface.

We use a 55lb 12v on a 22' elliptical.  It does ok but can get overpowered by the wind.  If it gets that bad we stop fishing anyway. 

What kind of run time do you get with that setup Bruce? I'm just looking for something to work the shoreline on smaller inland lakes etc. I don't need the anchor, route following features (although that would be nice) for the fishing I do. Jumping from the W55 to the Xi5 is quite a bit.

I mostly fish for crappie and have a Minn Kota Edge 55# on my 20SLMX, it moves it along at about .8 mph on the 2 setting and about 1.2 on 3. Now this is in wind about 10 mph and less and the battery nearly full. I put an Easy troller plate on my Yamaha 90 for trolling for crappie and can get down to about 1.0 going into the wind and roughly 1.3 in calm conditions. I mostly use my Minn Kota for running the banks fishing and trying to hold over suspended fish in deeper water. I think you will be fine with what you are looking at, but even with the trolling plate down on my boat the wind will push the front end around when it gust. Hard to control these "wind catchers" in the gust.

We will fish 3-4 hours and I will be at 50% power level when done.  That is with a single sealed 12v battery.  The motor runs all the time when fishing.  With 4 to 8 lines in the water, there is no drifting.  I use the foot controller.  Since I am standing fishing and to see the head of the motor for direction control, it works easier than the remote control fob.  

I just looked my motor pricing up with my wholesaler.  The margin is less than 9% :( . I'm not getting into the trolling motor business. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We will fish 3-4 hours and I will be at 50% power level when done.  That is with a single sealed 12v battery.  The motor runs all the time when fishing.  With 4 to 8 lines in the water, there is no drifting.  I use the foot controller.  Since I am standing fishing and to see the head of the motor for direction control, it works easier than the remote control fob.  

Do you have the Motorguide w55? or something else?

I know it is the Minn Kota PowerDrive Pontoon 55# thrust.  I think it is the 48" shaft.  I have been very happy with it.  We would always stow it flat when moving which was a pain with all the people on the boat.  2 years ago a forum member recommended just pulling it up till it latched.  We have been all over the lake with it in the vertical stow and had no problems with the mount.  We only use it in Canada.  When we get to camp, it take 5 minutes to bolt it up.  I do have 4 holes in the vinyl for the rest of the year but I don't worry about it. On the old toon, with carpet you did not notice the holes. 

Thanks. I'll look at that one as well.

Hi all,

I just acquired an '07 2275RL and am looking at a new (private sale) 24V 80lb thrust MinnKota with iPilot.   I was planning to bow mount for trolling.  

Does anyone have input on the capability of this motor?  Is it undersized for the boat?   I'm concerned my 90hp won't run slow enough for fishing. 

Thanks for for any help!

My 90 hp. Mercury, on a 2275 Fsi, would troll at just below 2 mph on a calm day. This was at idle. This was perfect for Walleye, Bass and Northern pike. I had the idle speed adjusted to 800 rpm. Into the wind it would go a little slower.

You definitely want the 24v 80#. A little bit of wind will bury a smaller trolling motor. You wouldn't be disappointed.

D&D

I know it is the Minn Kota PowerDrive Pontoon 55# thrust.  I think it is the 48" shaft.  

Is that a V2. If it is you can buy a quick release bracket so you don't have unbolt it all the time. I have the #55 powerdrive V2. I had it on my old 20 fter and it did fine. I am ready to put it on my 21 SLX this year so we will see how it pushes a bigger boat. 

Is that a V2. If it is you can buy a quick release bracket so you don't have unbolt it all the time. I have the #55 powerdrive V2. I had it on my old 20 fter and it did fine. I am ready to put it on my 21 SLX this year so we will see how it pushes a bigger boat. 

Looking forward to your results. I am looking at the minn kota pontoon model as well. 55#. Is it ideal for all conditions, no. Will it work 80% of the time? I think so.

That quick release bracket is what I unbolt from the floor.  Since I only use the trolling motor for 1 week a year I don't want the toe stubbing bracket mounted in the middle of the door the rest of the year. 

Looking forward to your results. I am looking at the minn kota pontoon model as well. 55#. Is it ideal for all conditions, no. Will it work 80% of the time? I think so.

That is the way I look at it. We have a ton of small rivers/creek off the main river here and it's nice to have the trolling motor when you get further up them. On my old boat we went so far that the trolling motor hit bottom so we had to turn around. I am thinking it will do fine on the slx because my old boat had leaky tubes that got a bunch of water in them so I am thinking the weight differential will not be that much hopefully. I will post something once i am able to get on the water!! 

Minn Kota powerdrive V2 54# thrust 48 inch

Here is the one I bought but I bought the older version I guess. When I bought it it was 549$ and since it came in a damaged package they gave me 80$ off so I think it came out to 480$. I went with a 12V just because of the small tubes and issues with my old boat. Hoping it will work for the 21 SLX and we shall see this summer. If not I guess I will sell it and get a 24V with more thrust.

I purchased the 80# 24V MinnKota with iPilot GPS.  It came with plugs for power disconnection, w/ gauge upgrade, the remote fob, remote foot pedal and a quick release bracket. All of it is brand new. 

Im just trying to decide how to mount it under the deck with the mounting footprint rotated 90 degrees so that the motor is parallel to the bow when stowed.  I'm not interested in having it mounted on the deck and through the front door when not in use.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I purchased the 80# 24V MinnKota with iPilot GPS.  It came with plugs for power disconnection, w/ gauge upgrade, the remote fob, remote foot pedal and a quick release bracket. All of it is brand new. 

Im just trying to decide how to mount it under the deck with the mounting footprint rotated 90 degrees so that the motor is parallel to the bow when stowed.  I'm not interested in having it mounted on the deck and through the front door when not in use.  

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

PM sent

Following this thread, as I've also been considering a MinnKota for fishing. :)

Hi all,

I just acquired an '07 2275RL and am looking at a new (private sale) 24V 80lb thrust MinnKota with iPilot. I was planning to bow mount for trolling.

Does anyone have input on the capability of this motor? Is it undersized for the boat? I'm concerned my 90hp won't run slow enough for fishing.

Thanks for for any help!

I'm running the following and find that it pulls by 2577 nicely and will anchor it with no problems, even in a strong wind.

https://mk.factoryoutletstore.com/d...t.html?category_id=20841&catalogitemid=497422

Back