Mirror for pulling tubers?

I don't want to be a spoil sport . . . and I'm usually not one for following rules . . . but having pulled a tube, I don't think a mirror is enough. Get a mirror but when you're pulling anything alive behind your boat, have a spotter too. The mirror won't work when you're whipping them with turns (which is the most fun for them). You're going to be worried about where you're going (and other boat traffic) and they'll be way off to the sides so you won't see them in the mirror anyway, even when you can look at it.

Put another way, if you can see your tube-ees in the mirror the whole time, you'll probably see them texting and taking selfies because it won't be much of a thrill ride.

I don't want to be a spoil sport . . . and I'm usually not one for following rules . . . but having pulled a tube, I don't think a mirror is enough. Get a mirror but when you're pulling anything alive behind your boat, have a spotter too. The mirror won't work when you're whipping them with turns (which is the most fun for them). You're going to be worried about where you're going (and other boat traffic) and they'll be way off to the sides so you won't see them in the mirror anyway, even when you can look at it.

Put another way, if you can see your tube-ees in the mirror the whole time, you'll probably see them texting and taking selfies because it won't be much of a thrill ride.
Agree a mirror is not enough. Anytime we ski/tube/wakeboard we have a spotter. It's the way we have always done it. With that being said......the law has changed. Now if you have a mirror you don't need a spotter.

Agree a mirror is not enough. Anytime we ski/tube/wakeboard we have a spotter. It's the way we have always done it. With that being said......the law has changed. Now if you have a mirror you don't need a spotter.

Those laws vary by state though. In Michigan, you till are required by law to have BOTH a review mirror AND a spotter. In full disclosure, we still need to add the review mirror, but we always have a spotter sitting on our Swing-back when pulling anyone.

I have the large PTM Edge mirror and it really does show me my "tubers" no matter how far outside the wake they've gone. With that said, I'm also driving the boat and can't stare constantly at the mirror and look at what's in front of me at the same time. Whether the law requires it or not, I want a spotter and won't pull a tube or a skier without one.

I agree with Mike. I also have the large PTM edge mirror and it is great for pulling a tube or just seeing what is behind you, but for me a spotter is also a must. Alabama law says you must have either a spotter or a mirror that is at least 78 square inches with a field of vision of 170 degrees. So, the mirror is enough by law, but I want pull a tube without a competent (I have some on the boat that aren't competent) spotter. As for the mirror it is rock solid. No vibration, no movement, just perfect and it folds down out of the way when its time to cover the boat.

Thanks for feedback...fully agree. We are still required in Ohio to have a spotter, and do so and agree. Just want to be able to look forward but also see tubers in addition to spotter. Good point outside the wake. Thanks for info

And you have a 115hp.

My kid was too young to have a phone when we had the 115. So, he just rolled over on his back, laced his fingers behind his head, bent one knee, and crossed his other leg over the top. While we were pulling him on the tube. I think he was 8 when he did that.

Next day my wife gave me the green light for a 150. Two fisted tubing from then on.

I still don't have a mirror. But I'm still a young guy in his 50s and can still turn my head and look.

Last edited:
Back