Moisture Issues Under Seats and in Tritoon Storage

Reaction score
I'm a new owner of a 2020 23SBXP for 2 months. I often have moisture in my tri toon storage. I also have a small amount of standing water and moisture under seats after rains (even with cover on). Does anyone else have moisture issues like these? If so, what you have you done to manage mold issues?

I've had 5 boats in 20 years and this is my first pontoon. I'm disappointed that a boat of this quality would have these issues.

Cover is moisture resistant (more for dust and critter proofing), not waterproof. If you search, there’s many posts about water in seat bases and typical issues that cause it. Tritoon is not “sealed” storage, so yes water will travel down floor and enter. It’s not waterproof storage. Some have used watertight containers and such to store stuff in there. Seat bases should have drain holes drilled in corners, if not see your dealer, they hold be able to drill them for you easily.

OP,

It sounds normal to me. As stated above, the mooring covers are not absolutely waterproof. And I'm not sure about your particular boat, but water can definitely run down the deck from the bow when it rains. That's why there's a bilge pump. I've not had any issues with the moisture, and we've had a very wet spring.

Good luck!

Normal. I hear you though as it threw me off at first as well. Bilge pump takes care of any standing water with in floor storage. I open up seats and in floor storage door after rain and storms to dry back out more quickly. This is my 4th year, and the first year I had mold on the underside of my seats after winter storage. I bought a product called “Amazing” marine fabric mold remover. It worked wonders for me, and I certainly recommend it highly for the underside of seats of mold were to develop for you.

I bought a blue Stellex ? full cover for pontoon boats that Costco sells online and placed it directly over top of the playpen cover over winter. It protected the entire boat well but because it has no vents, it caused mold to grow on many surfaces such as seat cushion underside and stored life vests. It totally covers all decks so stops the wicking of water from the exposed deck areas exposed to weather with factory cover. If the bimini were left up and the Stellex cover tented up high so it doesn't block plastic pole air vents in the playpen cover perhaps it would work better. Maybe add some sewn in screened vents on opposite sides of Stellex cover to allow cross air flow. You would need to bungy the cover down well for winter winds and not sure it would handle much snow load for severe weather parts of country. I finally built a Versa-tec kit 14'x48'x 12' high RV shelter to end the moisture/mold problem. Nothing beats a real roof overhead (except a heated garage.) Maybe add a ventilation fan with a timer on an extension cord to run a little each day to keep air moving.

Last edited:
Hey Todd where are you located on the lake? We are between MM 11 and 12 Main channel.....

BigKahuna - I’m Across from the steam plant on east side of Lake. Turn right just after MM 16. Just off Beaten Path Road in Shavenders Bluff.
Know the area well. We usually turn at MC1/MC2 to pick up some friends at their neighborhood slip area off of Oak Tree. Even though we no longer have our Bennington hope to meet up with you someday....

Back