Mood light dimmer failure

Jonny Mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Today I was doing to preseason maintenance on my '15 2550 R, the dash was loose and while trying to get bolts in, dripped a bolt in the wires, of course I pulled the wires loose out of one of that switch (dimmer control) to get the bolt, something arched and now I don't have mood lighting. Best I can tell is none of the breakers are tripped and there is still power coming from the mood lighting switch to the dimmer switch, but the lights aren't working. The first point of failure I can find is a yellow round thing (looks like an old relay flasher) that has 4 wires directly from the dimmer switch, has "caplug 1 1/6 sc" on the top:
1. What is that?
2. Where can I get a new one?

Thanks!

-Mac

Mac,

I don't know if this will help you. I do not have mood lighting on my boat that will be in soon but looking to add in the future. I am not sure of the exact control that you are looking for, but another member found this to control the mood lighting on his boat as he was adding lighting.. This looks like what Bennington uses to control the RGB lighting. I think this has the capability to dim the lights.

http://www.itc-marine.com/product/versicontrol-rgb-single-zone-knob-controller/

Thanks for the idea, that's helpful for a retrofit, but I'm not looking to do that just yet. Attached it what I think the problem is...20190328_144011.jpg

Jonny Mac, Did you ever get your problem sorted? Looking at your picture, was/is that electrical tape wrapped around the caps to keep the "flasher relay" from vibrating out? If it is, mavbe there is a part number or discription under the tape.

Well I am stupid. That is an an excellent and obvious idea that I would never have thought of...literally. When I get back home tomorrow I will let you know if I find anything, thanks!

You were absolutely right, there is a part # on sticker on it. The only problem is when I took the electrical tape off, it peeled the sticker off with it, rendering it unreadable

It looked like tape. Sorry to hear that the label pulled off. Wonder if the other one is the same? Maybe you can contact Bennington for a wiring diagram, it might be listed on the print or at least a discription. Did you try and remove the label from the tape? Paper or vinyl? Can you get light on it from the back side and try and read with a magnifying lens? I'm just guessing.

Is the boat under warranty? Take it in!

Is the boat under warranty? Take it in!

He accidentally damaged it while trying to repair. Not sure if they would consider this warranty.

He accidentally damaged it while trying to repair. Not sure if they would consider this warranty.

Got it. Didn't go back and re-read the whole thread.

Yep, there ARE warranty issues but this one was all me.

Unfortunately, after watching "National Treasure" and assuming I still had no way of properly restoring a historical document, I tried to recover the sticker as best I could, I believe I made it worse, pics later...

I can picture you saying, "I got this!" quickly followed by, "Crap!"

You definitely have the "edited for content" version ;-)

Back