Mood lighting popping breaker for mood lighting only when in motion over 1500 rpms

kurt asmussen

Reaction score
I have a brand new 25 SPDX it has the mood lighting in the speakers, around the dining features, cupholders and toe lighting. Yesterday was the first day we were able to use the boat. The mood lighting worked perfectly when just floating or sitting there. However, when we would start to go in motion the circuit breaker would pop if I had the RPMs over 1500. Is this some sort of safety feature that you can travel down the lake with your “mood lights” lights on?

I have a brand new 25 SPDX it has the mood lighting in the speakers, around the dining features, cupholders and toe lighting. Yesterday was the first day we were able to use the boat. The mood lighting worked perfectly when just floating or sitting there. However, when we would start to go in motion the circuit breaker would pop if I had the RPMs over 1500. Is this some sort of safety feature that you can travel down the lake with your “mood lights” lights on?

Ummmm....no. It should stay on if you have it on, regardless of speed. Ours does, as does everyone I know that has these lighting features. Something is off electrically. I’d get back in touch with the dealer to have it looked over myself.

The faster the rpms, the higher the voltage (at least at low rpms) which means lights will draw more current, and use more power...

Could it be your lighting load is very close to the breaker trip load? When the engine speeds up, the lights draw more power and the breaker trips?

Easiest thing to try is swap breakers. The one that is tripping could be a little weak....

That makes sense. I appreciate the info. I am contacting the dealership today. Thank you again for the response because I didn’t know if it was just a safety feature or what.

Sure thing, best of luck. Also, CONGRATULATIONS on the new boat. A bummer dealing with an issue right away, but once it’s taken care of, I hope you have a lot of fun on it. If you haven’t already, and want to, post some pictures and the specs. Lots of us love seeing pictures of everyone’s new boats, and how they spec’d theirs up. It’s somewhat of a pass time on the forums ;)

Past time???

Surprised Dave hasn't jumped on that saying "no pics, didn't happen"...

But yes, congrats on the new boat, and "welcome to the party", as Carl would say. RIP Carl. Hope you're boating every day.

Nice looking boat,very similar to mine. I have the 23 spdxp, we love the dinette. I notice you have stern rear facing speakers, how the heck did you get those? Is your boat a 2019? I didn't have that option available???

Thank you. We love it too with the extra room. I had the dealership install them with amplifiers. We sit in the water quite a bit so they are perfect for what we do.

Sweet looking Benny! Thanks for sharing...

Suhhhhhweeeeet!!!

Back