Mooring cover deterioration

Dan S

Reaction score
I received delivery of my 21SX Bennington early May of 2015. Burgandy mooring cover with snaps. It appears I’m having major failure of the material. First there was a small stretchy looking hole behind the helm seat and I just wrote it off to a stick falling from a nearbky tree. Then there was a fairly good size ‘pulling apart’ tear near but not at the center post support itself and I could’nt figure it out and got a patch sewed on. Today, two days later after some heavy rain 1”+, there was some pooling on the canvas panel thats in front of the panel that has the separations as shown in the photo. I went under the cover to push up on the canvas a bit to drain the water off and it tore some more. The cover wasn’t super tight nor was it loose either. I usually have my cover on snugly. BTW, I’m in Wisconsin, the cover /boat is used outside from around May1st to around September 1st each year. Over the Winter, the boat and cover are stored inside my pole building with the cover loosely fit over the boat with the poles and snaps. My last boat had its original cover for 17 years with no tears or holes whatsoever. Has anyone else experienced premature failure like this and if so, how did Bennington or your dealer handle it? When we purchased the boat, I was concerned about the cover because of how lightweight it seemed and the lack of what I thought was proper reinforcing.

Attachments

• 68A0A2FC-7FCA-4746-AC82-9142A8EE1B03.jpeg
    68A0A2FC-7FCA-4746-AC82-9142A8EE1B03.jpeg
    282.2 KB · Views: 20
Check with your dealer for a warranty replacement. Should be covered.

Thanks rodsfields, I’ve done a bit more reading and it appears that it should be but what a hassle.

See your dealer for warranty

Warranty coverage is a hassle??? I’d think breaking out my wallet would be a hassle... :confused:

Warranty coverage is a hassle??? I’d think breaking out my wallet would be a hassle... :confused:
of course, but not having to deal with it in the first place would be best. Bennington should have sourced better canvas IMO.

If Bennington built and or sourced everything, like everyone thinks they should have, we could never afford these boats. Be thankful they offer a great warranty ... I’ve had issues with covers, yes, sad but true, but one email to my dealer, and it was handled.

Thanks for your input. It’s just my belief that the cover is one of the more critical components. What would have been nice at purchase, would have had the option for a better cover made from Sunbrella or Top Gun material. I would have gladly paid for a better cover as an option rather than having this one wear out/decompose in 4 years. However, I have had no other issues with the boat and am glad I purchased a Bennington.

Back