Mooring cover

MRJ

Reaction score
How important is a mooring cover? I’ll likely be in a covered lift while it’s in the water. I plan to have it shrink wrapped for winter storage. Very little trailering.
Are they a necessary option? Anyone not use theirs?

My boats are covered with the mooring cover when they're not in use. During the season, I usually uncover it Friday afternoon and use the boat all weekend and then cover it up Sunday evening. I don't have a covered lift, but I think I would cover it anyway to keep it clean.

Important to us ! I agree with sunedog.Even thought your on a covered lift, rain and wind blowing you still get a wet boat inside. If you are ordering a new boat get a cover with the order it will be cheaper than ordering one later!

Big DITTO on warranty reason. Also, as someone with a covered lift, I still cover my boat constantly. Where we are located (N. Michigan), we have two issues. One was mentioned above. Wind and such can blow things around. You just never know. Second, and main issue, bugs. Bugs. BUGS. lol :D

I learned quickly the first year that any time I was “lazy” and did not put the mooring cover on it over night, I got lots of bugs laying around on the boat, dieing on the boat, spiders and their droppings, etc... They can leave spots, or their dead bodies, that then require more cleaning. As a result of this issue, we are in the habit of putting our cover on nightly, even when staying at our cottage for a protracted time in nice weather.

I used mine even when under a cover lift in MI. It keeps the bird and bug shit off the seats. The covered lift just keeps it dry

I used mine even when under a cover lift in MI. It keeps the bird and bug shit off the seats. The covered lift just keeps it dry

Oh yes...especially the bird droppings. The number of birds that occasionally want to hang out in the shade under your covered lift is not conducive to a well kept boat. :confused:

It would be crazy not to use the mooring cover, even on a covered lift. We don't cover ours on the weekends but would not think of keeping it uncovered when we leave for the week. The upholstery and interior would not stay nice for very long. We had our last boat for 20 years and had the original upholstery, carpet and bimini top when we sold it, and it still looked like it was just a few years old!

We keep our boat in a covered slip and always use the mooring cover. I usually clean the cover twice a year due to bird dropping, spider crab and other assorted irritants. All that would end up in the boat, on the upholstery and floor if not for the cover.

Back