More than just stickers ??

Not in that case, standard F is 4 cylinder vs 6 cylinder for SHO.

Is there really any difference between the sho and f series engines
Well, they both have props! Otherwise nothing is the same. Displacement, gearing, compression etc.
Can a standard f model be upgraded to a sho
Actually YES!! But the kit is rather expensive, I think the 200 kit was about $20,000!! Hehe, sorry, couldn't resist!

SHO was originally designed for bass boats, and only had a 20" shaft, but they work great on pontoons and have 25" versions now too.

VF250 is 89 octane vs 87 for the F250, so I assume they are advancing the timing a little and maybe some other tweaks to allow for a fatter power curve on the SHO. I hear they have some good holeshot.

Years ago the VF was only offered in a short shaft so that was better suited for bass boats and saved weight. Also they were mechanical controls. Nowadays they offer the 25" shaft but not sure on the controls.

I went with the F250 because it has the larger 70a alternator for charging all my batteries and wanted the digital controls. SHO is probably only marginally quicker, maybe 1-2mph faster top end. Maybe.

A few people nailed it above. Gear ratios, Compression, Displacement...those things are going to have some differences as you move among various HP motors in comparing f and SHO. In a 200HP for example, also the difference between a 4 cyc in the f vs. the 6 cyc in the SHO.

Top end mph at WOT is likely to be a few more mph depending on what HP motor you are comparing. Where you will see the biggest differences is hole shot, towing performance, sustained or more consistent performance while weighted down with passengers and gear.

Back