Motor capabilities and ECU flashes

lakeliving

Reaction score
I think this will be my next setup.... That is huge gains over my 44 that I see now.

Maholli

Reaction score
With just stock 250hp and 17 pitch enertia which originally dealer had 15 pitch and motor mounted too low i was 47 and 6450rpm, i raised motor thanks to thus group to the recommended hole, swapped prop to a 17 and was 51.7 full tank gas and normal load in boat with 2 people, fast forward to simonazied and now vroooom vrooommmmm :) .. definitely worth it with little to no risk minus warranty which i can live with..

RunningYld

Reaction score
I'm seriously considering reprogramming my 250 pro. I contacted Simons yesterday and got a response similar to Maholi's above. Up to 345 HP with 91 octane fuel after I swap the prop to get 63-6500 RPM. I've currently got a 17P prop and can get around 6,400 RPM and 45 mph with a normal load.
I've been searching the internet for reports of bad things happening after doing this but haven't found much. Find a few positive reports like this one. Read numerous spots that the 200-300 verados are identical motors but can't find any side by side part # comparisons to prove it.

Has anyone ever researched the lower units. Are the lower units identical from the 200-300 HP verados or just the power heads? I'd hate to push an additional 95 HP with a higher pitched prop on a heavy boat through a lower unit that isn't designed for it and cause problems on the bottom half. I haven't been able to find much information on lower units.

Nervous to pull the trigger on this but 95 HP for $825 ($1475 if I buy the flash tool and have the capability to put the program back where I found it whenever I want) plus the cost of new prop, sure is tempting.

Looking for any horror stories (if there are any) or more "DO IT" stories to help me make the decision.

If there isn't any mechanical worries the only drawback I see is I'm not gonna tell the wife what I did and in a few years when its time to "upgrade" I'll have to sell her on going up to at least a 400 when she still thinks I'm running a 250.

Maholli

Reaction score
No issues i have the flash tool and tune im 52.7mph stock and 58mph with tune. 17 pitch enertia stock and 19 pitch with tune. Definitely worth it.

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Glad you posted. I am considering the same thing, and have the same thoughts as you RunningYld. You are a step ahead of me with having contacted Simons. If I move forward, it wouldn’t be until 2021, OR even possibly until after my 10 year warranty is up in 2027...?

I did find some information this past year out on the internet that there are a few gearing/gear ratio differences with some of the Mercury Verado motors EVEN THOUGH they are described as identical by Simons and Mercury.

The other thing I worry about is the structural integrity issues of MY boat. I have a normal SPS, so 200 HP is the max HP. I currently have a 200 Verado Pro, so any increase puts me above the max rating. I am gun shy on exceeding that and potentially having future transom/structural problems. Not to mention it would void the warranty, as well as have insurance coverage implications (can you tell I get concerned with dotting i’s and crossing t’s...ha,ha).

It might have been on the Mercury forums that I came across a forum thread about the gearing concerns. They are very detailed oriented on that forum. However, I have yet to come across a single horror story from someone that has done the ECU flash on a Verado and had motor trouble. I also have yet to find someone that did something like this, and then had a structural tritoon/transom problem.

Since adding our Sea Legs last year, I miss a little bit of the hole shot and top end speed that I lost. This is what has led me to flirt with the idea of doing the ECU Simons flash someday down the road.

jtrovato21

Reaction score
I'm also considering doing the ECU flash on our Mercury 200, but it's not the Verado, it's the newer V6 model that came out last year. I've already contacted Simon and we can go up to 245hp with just a flash, and up to 325hp with a flash and new throttle body. Now, do we wait until 5 year motor warranty is up, or just pull the trigger now!?

RunningYld

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong.
The motor warranty is 5 years and Bennington has a 10 year warranty on the Boat?

I bought it used so I'm not sure if the warranty transferred or not, the dealer didn't mention anything about remaining warranty and I didn't bother to ask when I bought a 4 year old boat. I assumed there wasn't enough warranty, if any, left to worry about. Weird part is I bought it from a Bennington dealer so you'd think they'd mention it.

The boat and motor are 5 years old now (or will be soon depending on when the original owner took possession).
I don't have to worry about motor warranty anymore but possibly void the last 5 years of the boat warranty?
I can't remember what the MAX HP sticker in my boat says. I'll have to uncover it in storage and take a look.

jtrovato21

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong.
The motor warranty is 5 years and Bennington has a 10 year warranty on the Boat?

I bought it used so I'm not sure if the warranty transferred or not, the dealer didn't mention anything about remaining warranty and I didn't bother to ask when I bought a 4 year old boat. I assumed there wasn't enough warranty, if any, left to worry about. Weird part is I bought it from a Bennington dealer so you'd think they'd mention it.

The boat and motor are 5 years old now (or will be soon depending on when the original owner took possession).
I don't have to worry about motor warranty anymore but possibly void the last 5 years of the boat warranty?
I can't remember what the MAX HP sticker in my boat says. I'll have to uncover it in storage and take a look.
If you have the ESP hull in your signature, then it's likely 350+. I think it was model year 2017 that started the 10 year warranty, so yours probably only has the 5 year.

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
With an ESP, you have lots of room to increase HP and not exceed your boats listed capacity. I’d check with the dealer about the Bennington warranty. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the 2015’s had a 7 year warranty, so technically you’d have 2 years left IF they transferred it to you. I think there is a small fee, and must be done via a Bennington dealer.

Dgj

Reaction score
I did it to a 2010 250 verado and went from a 15p to a 17p enertia and right at 50mph. I believe I was at 40 or 42 before. Finding ethanol free 91+ octane fuel is nearly impossible in my area so I just use ethanol fuel stabilizers

I am very pleasedmainly because can cruise with several people at 30mph and not be wide open

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
I did it to a 2010 250 verado and went from a 15p to a 17p enertia and right at 50mph. I believe I was at 40 or 42 before. Finding ethanol free 91+ octane fuel is nearly impossible in my area so I just use ethanol fuel stabilizers

I am very pleasedmainly because can cruise with several people at 30mph and not be wide open
I didn’t realize the fuel requirement was 91+ ethanol free. Interesting. Our marina is not 100% ethanol free, and I’m not carrying cans. Is an ethanol fuel stabilizer adequate?

Hmmm, the fuel requirement might lay to rest this idea.

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Ethanol free is not a requirement only the high octane level, I just prefer ethanol free.
Good to hear. Thanks for the clarification. That keeps this on the table as an option for me then.

RunningYld

Reaction score
I was just told 91 octane. They didnt mention ethanol free but I didn't ask either. I also prefer non ethanol fuel in everything.

Non issue for me since i trailer back and forth and fill up at the gas station where I've got choices.
Always used premium fuel for simple piece of mind so the 91 octane isn't really an issue for me.

I'm probably gonna do this upgrade just a matter of when. There is 3 feet of ice on the lake today so I've got some time.