Motor capabilities and ECU flashes

lakeliving

Reaction score
Another reason I’m glad to have a Yamaha! They seem more reasonable.

Dandsconnelly

Reaction score
Whipple used to offer tunes for the Verado as well, but I see it's no longer available on their website either. Damn, this was on my list to get done now that my warranty is up on the pro.

DejaWiz

Reaction score
Whipple used to offer tunes for the Verado as well, but I see it's no longer available on their website either. Damn, this was on my list to get done now that my warranty is up on the pro.
Email and ask if they'll "repair" your "damaged" Verado ECM with one of their tunes.

If not, then there's always Simon.

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
If not, then there's always Simon.
Mercury actually took action against companies doing the ECM tunes. They threatened Lawsuits. I haven’t heard of anyone still doing any Mercury tunes as a result. Happened going into this year.

lakeliving

Reaction score
Time to boycott mercury. What company keeps people from modifying their product post sale???? what a bunch of A-holes. Void the warranty sure but forbid and threaten to litigate???? What's next, you can't cut a 2x4 from home depot down to the length you need, or nail another one to it to make it longer? What a joke.

DejaWiz

Reaction score
Well, that seals the deal for me...I'm going with Yamaha when I buy a boat. I will not support a company acting like a dictatorship to their paying customers in a free market.

Vikingstaff

Reaction score
Well, that seals the deal for me...I'm going with Yamaha when I buy a boat. I will not support a company acting like a dictatorship to their paying customers in a free market.
I wonder since Mercury did it, will others follow? I hope not for everyone else’s sake. However, at least for now, us Mercury owners don‘t seem to have the option. It is a shame for those that wanted the tune. Everyone always said the options through Simon were great.

DejaWiz

Reaction score
I wonder since Mercury did it, will others follow? I hope not for everyone else’s sake. However, at least for now, us Mercury owners don‘t seem to have the option. It is a shame for those that wanted the tune. Everyone always said the options through Simon were great.
Possibly. With Evinrude now sporting a gravestone, the smaller number of outboard players means less competition, which is always bad for consumers.

lakeliving

Reaction score
I did some digging and found this someone posted on the hull truth. Looks like Mercury is the only company in the world to be lame and use this as a reason. They are only doing it as they want to make more money on selling higher hp motors. Plain and simple. And when people have shown the economy is better it is clearly not an emissions issue. Nice try Mercury. We see you!!! And another thing, Simon was selling their own tune, not Mercury's. I guess any racing teams that are not sponsored or a "factory" team better look out too. Merc is coming for you next!

Mercury Service Bulletin 2019-08.

”Mercury Marine is aware that, in order to change engine performance, individuals and businesses have modified the engine control modules (ECM) for Mercury engines. These modifications are not authorized by Mercury Marine. Mercury Marine engines are extensively tested to meet emission regulations and ensure long term performance, reliability, and durability objectives. Modifying or replacing the ECM with unauthorized parts or untested, unverified calibrations will change the engine’s emissions reliability and durability performance in ways that cannot possibly be understood by those offering such services. ECMs should not be recalibrated by anyone, unless authorized to do so by Mercury Marine. Authorized Dealers should report all known circumstances of ECM recalibration to Mercury.

US EPA Rules: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency rules prohibit tampering with an engine including the unauthorized modification or replacement of the ECM with an unauthorized part. A dealer found to have tampered with the ECM of any certified engine could face a fine of over $40,000 or an owner could be fined over $4,000 per engine by the United States EPA.

Copyright Violations: Modifying an ECM also typically infringes Mercury’s copyright‐ protected software code and circumvents the technological measures that Mercury put in place to protect its copyright protected software code. Anyone found to have infringed Mercury’s copyrights could be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 per work, and up to $150,000 per work for willful violations. Anyone found to have violated anti‐circumvention laws could be liable for civil statutory damages up to $2500 per violation, and for criminal penalties up to $500,000 and five years’ imprisonment for a first offense. Repeat offenders may be fined up to $1,000,000 and subject to ten years’ imprisonment. Other countries may have similar penalties.”

Last edited:

lakeliving

Reaction score
Sometimes a meme helps

Attachments

DejaWiz

Reaction score
I did some digging and found this someone posted on the hull truth. Looks like Mercury is the only company in the world to be lame and use this as a reason. They are only doing it as they want to make more money on selling higher hp motors. Plain and simple. And when people have shown the economy is better it is clearly not an emissions issue. Nice try Mercury. We see you!!! And another thing, Simon was selling their own tune, not Mercury's. I guess any racing teams that are not sponsored or a "factory" team better look out too. Merc is coming for you next!

Mercury Service Bulletin 2019-08.

”Mercury Marine is aware that, in order to change engine performance, individuals and businesses have modified the engine control modules (ECM) for Mercury engines. These modifications are not authorized by Mercury Marine. Mercury Marine engines are extensively tested to meet emission regulations and ensure long term performance, reliability, and durability objectives. Modifying or replacing the ECM with unauthorized parts or untested, unverified calibrations will change the engine’s emissions reliability and durability performance in ways that cannot possibly be understood by those offering such services. ECMs should not be recalibrated by anyone, unless authorized to do so by Mercury Marine. Authorized Dealers should report all known circumstances of ECM recalibration to Mercury.

US EPA Rules: The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency rules prohibit tampering with an engine including the unauthorized modification or replacement of the ECM with an unauthorized part. A dealer found to have tampered with the ECM of any certified engine could face a fine of over $40,000 or an owner could be fined over $4,000 per engine by the United States EPA.

Copyright Violations: Modifying an ECM also typically infringes Mercury’s copyright‐ protected software code and circumvents the technological measures that Mercury put in place to protect its copyright protected software code. Anyone found to have infringed Mercury’s copyrights could be liable for statutory damages up to $30,000 per work, and up to $150,000 per work for willful violations. Anyone found to have violated anti‐circumvention laws could be liable for civil statutory damages up to $2500 per violation, and for criminal penalties up to $500,000 and five years’ imprisonment for a first offense. Repeat offenders may be fined up to $1,000,000 and subject to ten years’ imprisonment. Other countries may have similar penalties.”
So, there is absolutely ZERO differences between their own engines of the same displacement, save for the ECM tuning to get different HP ratings which expands their product portfolio (and profit margins).

Mercury stating that putting, say for example, an ECM tune from their 4.6L 300HP on their 4.6L 200 HP engine would violate EPA regulations? That's absurdly ridiculous. I'm beginning to think that their powers that be are suffering from Mercury poisoning.

jhill

Reaction score
Time to boycott mercury. What company keeps people from modifying their product post sale???? what a bunch of A-holes. Void the warranty sure but forbid and threaten to litigate???? What's next, you can't cut a 2x4 from home depot down to the length you need, or nail another one to it to make it longer? What a joke.
Maybe the same regulations that road vehicles have that allow you to upgrade exhaust, intake, turbos, tuners, etc with commercially made approved accessories ("Carb approved" I think they call them) will eventually apply to boats. Someone will probably have to get lawyers into class action case win to achieve it. The last frontier for owners that want to enhance stock performance. As long as emission levels were maintained and durability is maintained, why not "hot rod" your boat engine??? I can visualize headers and big intake scoop on my Yammy F150........Someone should photoshop a ridiculous hot rodded outboard for fun......lol :cool:

SEMPERFI8387

Reaction score
Little too much???? :oops::D:D

1596818436856.jpeg

DejaWiz

Reaction score
Maybe the same regulations that road vehicles have that allow you to upgrade exhaust, intake, turbos, tuners, etc with commercially made approved accessories ("Carb approved" I think they call them) will eventually apply to boats. Someone will probably have to get lawyers into class action case win to achieve it. The last frontier for owners that want to enhance stock performance. As long as emission levels were maintained and durability is maintained, why not "hot rod" your boat engine??? I can visualize headers and big intake scoop on my Yammy F150........Someone should photoshop a ridiculous hot rodded outboard for fun......lol :cool:

Well, it's not the I-4 2.8L, but here's a V-6 4.2L VMax with no photoshopping required!

46492389_2216367565273054_759411537180884992_o.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault (1).jpg

lakeliving

Reaction score

jhill

Reaction score
We should have the right to "flash" our ECM if we want! Maybe I will test it. Where is my rain coat?IMG_4408.jpg

jhill

Reaction score
What - you going to try and scare more HP out of it? :p
It would probably have the opposite effect and "die laughing". The remaining horses would leave in disgust.

Last edited: