Motor won't start

mocca181

Reaction score
Today after backing out the boat it stalled. I tried starting the boat, after putting it in neutral, and it would not start. I trimmed the motor all the way down, as it was up slightly. Again it would not start, or now trim. The throttle seemed to be sticking, or was hard to move. It seemed like the throttle was stuck in gear so it wouldn't start. I tried moving the throttle, but it was difficult to put it in reverse. I tried jumping the battery, but it wouldn't start. I took out the battery to change it and it is charged. I think the throttle is misaligned. Any suggestion on how to address this without bringing it to the marina?

Does it turn over or nothing at all?
What motor?

How old is your boat?

If it's got some age on it, then the binacle cables or the actuation points either binacle or engine side may be starting to seize. Have you been able to check the cable action at the motor when the binacle is being moved?

It is 5 years old. Have not yet checked what you mentioned but will now. Thanks so much for your reply.

It is 5 years old. Have not yet checked what you mentioned but will now. Thanks so much for your reply.

It is under warranty still. Perhaps take it in to a Bennington dealer and see what’s going on with it?

Is your safety lanyard connected?

You could check the neutral switch and shift cut switch too. The motor won't start unless the neutral switch "detects" that the throttle and shift linkage are in the neutral position. Remove the cowling and watch to see if the neutral switch is "pressed" when the binnacle is in the neutral position. You mentioned that the throttle cable seems to be sticking, so the binnacle cable may not be returning to the neutral position at the motor, even if your binnacle control is at the neutral position.

FYI, the Yamaha factory service manual is excellent for troubleshooting steps like these. I purchased one from the dealer. You can find the part number at the Yamaha site here https://www.yamahapubs.com/. You'll need your serial number for the engine to search for the right manual.

Back