Mounting a trolling motor

Steve21slx

Reaction score
I am going to be putting a trolling motor on my new boat which has the designer vinyl flooring. I am just wondering if there is anything that i need to do to the flooring before hand as i do not want to void the warranty. I will have to drill hole for mount and possibly the battery wiring and just wonder if there is anything I should and have to do or if anyone has had anyexperience with mounting a trolling motor on this type of floor? Thanks.

There was a thread about mounting a trolling motor under the front deck using a hitch receiver. Very unobtrusive. You might be able to find it in the search box. (I couldn't but I didn't look very far.)

I have had trolling motors on my current and last Benny. Both were on carpet. 

I drilled the holes not worrying about the warranty, not sure how it would affect it. 

I used Minn Kota MKA-21 quick release bracket which has a fairly small foot print when the trolling motor is removed. 

http://www.minnkotamotors.com/Products/MKA-21-QUICK-RELEASE-BRACKET/

/monthly_2016_05/large.image.jpg.67b0eb58ff1dcf2fb875da9015e65f4c.jpg/monthly_2016_05/large.image.jpg.f46dd6e2b2011baae1bb509c767bceed.jpg/monthly_2016_05/large.image.jpg.5577d2a72021ede73ecd6efb38e2ee31.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah this is a Minnkota V2 with quick release just trying to see if anyone else had any dealing with the vinyl flooring. I have it on the present boat and want to transfer it to the new one. I just did not want to start drilling holes then find out later that it voided the warranty. The dealer said it will not but then again they will say anything to sell a boat. I will keep searching and thanks for the responses.

One of these days I am going to make an aluminum hitch receiver type to mount under the deck so I don't have to worry about the flooring. Does your dealer have a fishing one in stock you can look at to see how they mount them from the factory?

Yeah they have the fishing one but the trolling motor is not on it. I will look again when I pick my boat up later this week. Wonder if there is anything on youtube?

The fishing models have a place for the battery in the front cabinet but they don't mount a trolling motor at the factory.  I have the same motor as clrd and now I have 4 holes in the vinyl flooring as I only mount the motor for Canada fishing.  I just didn't worry about it. I was thinking about getting some little plugs to install in the holes but realized I was thinking to hard and backed off and went boating instead.  The thing about the trolling motor gate is when you are towing the boat it looks in the mirror like you forgot to close the front gate. 

Not sure if the designer vinyl is anything like berber carpet, where trying to drill a hole will snag the entire length of it. Ouch!

Well still have yet to figure this out but since the floor has issues and will probably be replaced I am holding off installing the trolling motor until next season. When I return it this fall i am going to ask the dealer what they suggest to do when I get the boat back. 

I mounted aluminum chanelss for about 4' under the boat bolting to the crossbeams, and it sticks out roughly 12" in front of my boat which is where I mounted my Ulterra Trolling motor...

it's unobtrusive and does not take up any deck space... 

pic:

t7vRWezSTBjuDLWUZpoo4LWFsllk6uEuDQ-CGbZF5hUYtce1saMXgNuFLsw4uUux7VZmhdYJysMRdpov1br52jZ8voj41G8Lvu-WcHmZ2UBkK41x1lJEzRcqXvre0KBiXW--iEmzZGpEccQW0xYhesu39n58YDcIyykgd16JhZTSnhoDvGNds1-abqNEhdTMX_dtZUIhLTAhfI9rj-MXPdsXjUEGdy-2fng1lzuCPa_qb2OIBpTcmtc7KEHoO8yTv-_Ps_VJrXXL4x_VCxDAInWBLimf3NuCu8VBud-dd14Fyx_xaRogehMcn8Yi6d4a02h2T5lmXQIBhj7DvcsdA43Rk5mQiKiXVwEc56qlLtJOP6zEKc6vEkOFujEzmv3t8bdeoy0pYjZNcrzhFIPFyQnSLienO7mmwh8J6q_44owcn4nu4ObxGdrQgNTbtuE5_B-mZ8-auyhP0wjc1luzVg34oUJ8gZl5P-hnfVNjTH9TgFZqjsPwTAbguVVE4csykDU1nt81v4Yqt7F321GRti1DNfHWFemaMYpWQ_u3Uc4pTYo-1DsvDVL9hNKcPY-Bn0N_pEpuuEaupYcYN_0afsANVT2wNafTVC_r7ewgXyr8dv4Byg=w1115-h627-no

Your photo link didn't work. I'd like to see your setup as I am planning mine as well.

does this work?

/monthly_2016_12/large.585411c16d106_Trollingmotorside.JPG.5d66b3bc3df662bbfb48cb94e0e287b5.JPG/monthly_2016_12/large.585411c1c5597_trollingmotortopview.JPG.d31f6dd90df0b9cb91b885b6fdfedb1f.JPG/monthly_2016_12/large.585411c24c1a8_ulterranoanchorneeded.JPG.fc67f6a5872156b24e370ab25dd37819.JPG/monthly_2016_12/large.585411c0a51c5_trollingmotorfront.JPG.2a92d3b4395cd0cdeb7b5277962e519c.JPG/monthly_2016_12/large.585411c10de6c_TrollingMotoroffBow.JPG.ef059a0f31bbe4881bdcb84ec529707a.JPG

I have the Quick Release bracket installed on the beams I've bolted in, and I use a small masterlock in there to deter theft...

It's 24 volt so I had to get a Yandina Combiner and ran 1ga from the combiner to the front.  I took it off for storage so I had to cut my wires so I will probably install some type of waterproof plug.

On drilling through the premium vinyl, I would use a sharpie to mark the location and then get a new utility knife blade and pre-cut a slightly larger perimeter to reduce the snagging effect on the strands.

Thanks Kells. Sweet setup! I love the auto deployment! I wouldn't expect anything else on a Q! 

On drilling through the premium vinyl, I would use a sharpie to mark the location and then get a new utility knife blade and pre-cut a slightly larger perimeter to reduce the snagging effect on the strands.

Just use a snowmobile track stud drill bit, they come in a few different sizes and have no teeth. Will cut tight thru the vinyl and give you a smooth edge around the hole. Oh yeah,that'll work on carpet too!

Also here is a video of it in action!

https://goo.gl/photos/iJwKcDW5GWvHk5kD9
I am looking for information from someone who has added a trolling motor to their pontoon in the past 2-3 years. I have a 21 SSX APG Fish and Cruise Pontoon. I saw your video and the thread but I wasn't sure what you had. That looks really neat what you have done. I was considering a Minn Kota and someone recommended that the Humminbird Fishfinder was the best to use with it for the iPilot. I have no idea which motor, shaft length and which model of Humminbird. Our friends all have Lowrance systems on Lund fishing boats but man those are costly. We have the only pontoon. Where is the best spot to put it? We installed two Minn Kota Anchor Mates last summer to the bow and stern (driver's side) so my space is limited. We love those. Is the detachable mount best? Our boat is kept in dry storage so we take it in and out of the water each trip. Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back