Move gauges and install Lowrance HDS7+

Jacob Dixon

Reaction score
I'm going to pick up my new 2017 Bennington SSRX with the blackout package tomorrow! (yay!).

One thing I did not like was the placement and the fish finder that comes with it. It is very small and not in a good location to view especially while driving. My main purpose for the boat is for me to go diving and spearfishing so I use downscan to find areas to dive/fish but I also use the GPS to store all my locations.

What I WANT to do is move the guages in the center down to the right where the current fish finder is and put my Lowrance HDS7 Gen II in the center. I did a picture on what I am looking for:

BenningtonFishFinder.jpg

Am I crazy for wanting this or crazy in thinking I can get a Bennington dealership to do it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't screw up your resale value.

Simply mount GPS on a ram mount 

I like it. Not sure how it may affect the warranty on the "helm" due to the modification, but I'd do it. I've actually thought of how to do something on our future GCW, and you provided some incentive.  ;)

If the panel that holds the guages is a separate piece, buy a new one and modify it to hold the new set up.  The fuel guage is the next most important, perhaps the fuel and/or trim could be mounted on a mount / stem and come up out of the cup holders.  Engine speed is nice to know but protected from over rev, once you acclimate to the boat you kinda know where your at anyway.  Stick it on a shelf.  Look into the A pillar or under dash guage mount kits for cars, you should be able to find something to complete this with out hacking up the new benny, then its all replaceable when its time to move on up to your next new benny.  Or, get a metal shop to fab up some SS sheet on a hinge that the unit will go into and then the other plate can attach up under the windshield, put some rubber stand offs on the corners to protect the console.  

That actually is a good idea. If that piece is separate then I could do this modification without drilling new holes. All I know is going from a 7" screen to the tiny thing they put on the boat is going to make me crazy, not to mention mine provides so much more detail. So either way I have to get mine mounted on there somehow.

Just FYI I also discovered that I believe you can connect the NMEA 2000 interface to it which makes moving those guages not even needed because you could see them on the Lowrance HDS 7 (also you can see more engine information on the Lowrance than the guages give you).

Jacob, here are a few photos of my setup for your consideration.  PM me if you have questions...

412725642.jpg

412731486.jpg

412725617.jpg

I've been very happy with this setup.  It's not in the way of my forward view in any way, and is easily visible from the chair, and is also easy to reach.

Nice! I actually just got my center piece on the helm just finished. Going to mount it this weekend and will send pics. Still trying to get the dealer to do the NMEA 2000 connection but they are telling me they don't do custom work like that lol. Looking for someone else now. 

Picture:

FullSizeRender.jpg

Did you order the blank panel through your dealer?

Edit: Just saw in gallery you had this done custom for $200.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you order the blank panel through your dealer?

Edit: Just saw in gallery you had this done custom for $200.

This is actually the original and I haven't ordered a blank one yet. It did cost me $200 for them to fill the holes, cut the new hole, metallic paint, and mount the fish finder

That is gonna be cool.  

Nice!!!

Are you talking in tank? That is probably only available via the sending unit and gauge or are you talking usage (gph)?

It looks like the item I posted should hook into your network and use the stock sending unit. All you have to do is calibrate it to your tank/sending unit.

It looks like the item I posted should hook into your network and use the stock sending unit. All you have to do is calibrate it to your tank/sending unit.

Thanks for the info! I'm trying to look at my boat and see where that sending unit is. Wish I thought about this when they ran the wires the first time! Argh

Back