Mud Dabbers have taken over my Benny.

dannyleininger

Reaction score
We just got home from a 6 week trip and I couldn’t wait to put the Benny in the water. To my horror the were Mud Dabber nests on the upholstery, the Bimini top and inside the cabinets. We keep her on a trailer with the Mooring Cover on at a covered storage building near our home.

I haven’t a clue how to deal with this one. Any suggestions???? It took me a whole day to clean the mess up.

I'm interested to hear what others say. I'm new to FL and I've noticed some on the house. Luckily they have spared the boat so far.

We get them on the boat and I haven't found a cure.

My toon wouldn’t pee after getting it out of storage two winters ago. Come to find out a Mud Dabber had found a home for the winter. It was suggested that to prevent a recurrence I hand tighten a screw in the hole. No problems last year.

Yup we just had the boat out on Sunday after not using it since before Hurricane Florence. Opened up the bimini and saw 2 big mud dauber nests in the corner by the frame. Just knocked them down and cleaned it with Windex. Just read that you can prevent future nests by putting a few drops of peppermint oil in a spray bottle full of water and spray the area. ....Works with spiders too.

Sorry! Never heard of a Mud Dabber. Sounds like I don't want to either. I will google the thing !

Sorry! Never heard of a Mud Dabber. Sounds like I don't want to either. I will google the thing !
A Mud Dauber is a wasp that makes it's nest out of mud and you can find them in the most unlikely places. Usually in the bimini and inside the cover. Also in the bimini frame and the plastic connectors. PITA.

A Mud Dauber is a wasp that makes it's nest out of mud and you can find them in the most unlikely places. Usually in the bimini and inside the cover. Also in the bimini frame and the plastic connectors. PITA.
What was that under your seat earlier this year???

Thank You Sir !

Mud Daubers are a constant in Florida. They will build a nest in anything even car engine compartments if you do not drive your car for a week or two. I use duct take to cover all my thru hulls as they will quickly clog them up if I do not.
They are not aggressive and have never known them to sting but will build nest any place they can. If you have a lift with a motor make sure there is a cover over it as they will build a nest in it and keep the pulleys from moving causing a circuit to blow. I have used panty hose over any motor that is not sealed. Vigilance is the only thing that will keep them out however as suggested have had some minor success with peppermint or other oils on cotton balls but given several weeks away it will not deter them.. Welcome to Florida...On another note, those yellow jacket or red wasp nests are another concern and they are aggressive....

Forgot to mention: I always have carried an 18" piece of coated stiff wire on my boat in case any water intakes or thru hulls are clogged. Just run the wire up the intake or thru hull and it will unclog it. Spiders will also build nests in the same places and the wire will also break the web up and allow the water to flow. The wire is a standard piece of mandatory equipment in Florida...Again, critters are a constant in Florida and you can not beat them but you can be prepared to remedy most of their damage....

We just got home from a 6 week trip and I couldn’t wait to put the Benny in the water. To my horror the were Mud Dabber nests on the upholstery, the Bimini top and inside the cabinets. We keep her on a trailer with the Mooring Cover on at a covered storage building near our home.

I haven’t a clue how to deal with this one. Any suggestions???? It took me a whole day to clean the mess up.
Laundry Dryer Sheets work well during the season and long term storage.

Laundry Dryer Sheets work well during the season and long term storage.
How do you use them? Just lay them around or are there specific places where you put them?

I use them during winter storage . I put them under all my seats and helm .

That’s an easy fix!

I found they were nesting in the square tubing for the bimini top, so I used stainless steel steel wool and shoved some in the ends of every tube. What was funny was when the mud dauber returned, she went nuts trying to get back into the tube...revenge is sweet!

Back