Muskrat Love

Interesting topic as I have heard recently that there are muskrat issues on the lake we just bought a cottage at.  I will inquire at our dealer about options for protecting against muskrats such as the suggestion above with mesh screening blocking off any transome access, etc...  As always, this forum is a fountain of knowledge to a new cottage owner, and soon to be new Bennington owner.  Much thanks!

They also make a wire spiral to cover the transducer cable so they won't chew it.

They also make a wire spiral to cover the transducer cable so they won't chew it.

Who sells that Carl?!? Locally?!? 

Suzi's son bought it from 4 Seasons in Denver I think. I'll ask him when we get home tomorrow.

Because it looks like we have some "new to pontoons and new to boating" folks taking possession of nice new Benny's, I thought I'd resurrect this thread. Definitely food for thought...

Sounds like they should just include a second knob with every mirror. Cheaper than having to mail out a knob.Or, a bakers dozen in your case cwag.LOL

We had some protection added to our new Bennington at the dealership to guard against muskrat damage. Here is a one that swam up to our neighbors seawall and started heading our way.  Cute, but damage causing from the sounds of it.

Muskrat climbing up the seawall.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a swimming rat ...... like our groundhogs .... just big yard rats ..... BANG!! Fixed for .10 cents ...

22lr are starting to get reasonably priced.  I can solve that problem for 7.98 cents now. 

We had some protection added to our new Bennington at the dealership to guard against muskrat damage. Here is a one that swam up to our neighbors seawall and started heading our way.  Cute, but damage causing from the sounds of it.

Muskrat climbing up the seawall.

Nice seawall! Also saw some pictures from the indoor water park; we take our daughter there during the winter, too! 

This is a common occurrence with muskrats. I have had critters chewing on cables and gas line but never go to the point where it neglected to start (lucky!). It has happened 2 consecutive years to some friends of ours though. I believe it can be remedied with a metal mesh tube covering that slides over the cables and gas line or some other type of covering. 

This is what I installed after we had $1500.00 worth of wiring chewed.

Carl, great seeing you and Suzi. Do you still have the picture you posted with this? Wanted to see what I was looking for. Also, do you wrap all the exposed cables/hoses?

Back