My bad acid trip

All these issues with an acid wash..... my shark hide doesn't sound like too much work!! Sorry to hear all the troubles, I'd of probably parked in the dealer's showroom till I got something resolved, no door needed!

The service manager told me that the parts were not actually anodized and that they could fix it. Honestly, that scares me as it makes me think he has no knowledge of my Bennington. As MrG states, this is going to require some substantial repairs and part replacement (rub rail, fencing) which, when it becomes apparent to my dealer, hopefully doesn't alter their agreement to make it right.

I'll keep you posted...

All Bennington's have 

Anodized. Bimini Frames, Fence Frames Rub Rails, Side skirting, Ect you can tell by the look of it what's Anodized and what's not. 

Your toons and your under wave shield Ect is all raw aluminum. 

Perhaps what the dealer ment to say is Your rub rail and Your side skirts are not Anodized ANYMORE! Because they Acid washed them. :)   

i see more of my posts were deleted 

The service manager told me that the parts were not actually anodized and that they could fix it. Honestly, that scares me as it makes me think he has no knowledge of my Bennington. As MrG states, this is going to require some substantial repairs and part replacement (rub rail, fencing) which, when it becomes apparent to my dealer, hopefully doesn't alter their agreement to make it right.

I'll keep you posted...

I'm getting an uneasy feeling about this. I'd start documenting every conversation and keep a log. I hope I'm wrong but this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Also, is there acid overspray on your panel as well? I'm looking at the last photo. Looks like there are a bunch of white spots in the black fence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm getting an uneasy feeling about this. I'd start documenting every conversation and keep a log. I hope I'm wrong but this is going to get worse before it gets better.

Also, is there acid overspray on your panel as well? I'm looking at the last photo. Looks like there are a bunch of white spots in the black fence.

I'm feeling the same way but trying to remain positive. I hope to be meeting with the dealer this weekend to get it in writing so we'll see. 

Yes, it did appear that the acid overspray was on the black panel but it seemed to clean up. I'll be going over it more thoroughly this weekend but thanks for mentioning it.  

Education is Key, If the dealer dosen't know what time it is that's fine you NOW do. I can say with the ut most certainly your damaged parts are ANODIZED. As far as repair?? Humm??? they can be removed, stripped and re anodized ( I have done it) . Im not sure if the fence aluminum can be broken down and re anodized. I'm pretty sure the panels are crimped into the fence pieces so removing the panels may be next to impossible for a dealer,  But if your Dealer rep doesn't even know they are anodized then I don't know what to say.

I would say Have your dealer order you every Anodized part that has had Acid touch it.

Then I would have your dealer remove the Side panels and refinish the pontoons with the side panels off.  This is why. When you use an acid wash the acid some times get's sprayed up and behind the side trim. it sit's their and slowly leaks out and causes drip mark's or streaks down the toons. That's why you see some peoples toons that look great but they have white run marks. This is especially true up by the wave guard, the toons need to be rinsed and rinsed over and over to get the left over acid gone (takes lots of water) and you need to force the left over stuff out of the nooks and crannies    

Think I'll stay away from acid.

This is especially true up by the wave guard, the toons need to be rinsed and rinsed over and over to get the left over acid gone (takes lots of water) and you need to force the left over stuff out of the nooks and crannies    

Yes, the wave guard right above and welded (?) to the frame/pontoons is also ruined. So, not only do I need a new rub rail and fence, I need a new wave guard. Frankly, I really think this will need to go back to the factory to have it done right, given the extensive amount of damage. :(

What part are you talking about when you say above the wave shield. Can you post a photo of it? 

Becides the "Side Trim" below the rub rail thats Anodized and can be removed and re installed everything below can be refinished back to factory finish. Everything you posted photos of above can either be refinished or removed and replaced. 

As far as Acid. Technically it's etching the Aluminum. Weather it's good or bad? When is used properly it's a useful chemical. When it's used in a reckless manner the results above show. 

1. Overspray is the #1 problem.

2. Over use is the #2 problem. 

I have noticed when you use the etching chemical to many times it causes the aluminum to take on a chalky un even look. And I have also noticed that the residue reacts to the minerals in the lake water. It causes the treated surfaces to oxidize at a much faster rate then the un treated areas. Result you have a water line mark on the toons much faster with a etched surface rather then a sanded finish.

I have noticed when you use the etching chemical to many times it causes the aluminum to take on a chalky un even look. And I have also noticed that the residue reacts to the minerals in the lake water. It causes the treated surfaces to oxidize at a much faster rate then the un treated areas. Result you have a water line mark on the toons much faster with a etched surface rather then a sanded finish.

If some of the members wanted to clean up their pontoons. Wouldn't it be better to have them polished, instead of treating them with acid MrG? Personally, the dulling of the pontoons never bothered me. However,I know it really bothers the hell out of many on this forum.

I grew up in California in the 60's not far from San Francisco.  I had a friend who had a bad acid trip once.

Michiman, I'm so sorry this happened to you, too! I remember when I wrote about my bad wash, yours was still at the dealer. I just wrote an update on my thread. But for your convenience I will tell you the dealer assured me the company he found would take care of the regular aluminum and the anodized parts. But they couldn't. They only polished my toons and got most of the spots removed from my motor area. That all looked great. The dealer will be replacing my ladder at the end of the season...but we have decided not to let them touch it. We will pick up the ladder instead and install it ourselves.

The spotting on our rubrail was not overwhelming so we accepted the shape it was in. Our lawyer said it would be hard to fight for a new boat...or replacing all the parts affected since we had no before photos, etc. Our first mistake was no pictures, our second was taking the boat when it was returned to us spotted. It's all been overwhelming. But we decided to heed the advice from many on this site to enjoy the boat.

We will be taking pictures from now on anytime we hand it over to anyone!

Michiman, I'm so sorry this happened to you, too! I remember when I wrote about my bad wash, yours was still at the dealer. I just wrote an update on my thread. But for your convenience I will tell you the dealer assured me the company he found would take care of the regular aluminum and the anodized parts. But they couldn't. They only polished my toons and got most of the spots removed from my motor area. That all looked great. The dealer will be replacing my ladder at the end of the season...but we have decided not to let them touch it. We will pick up the ladder instead and install it ourselves.

The spotting on our rubrail was not overwhelming so we accepted the shape it was in. Our lawyer said it would be hard to fight for a new boat...or replacing all the parts affected since we had no before photos, etc. Our first mistake was no pictures, our second was taking the boat when it was returned to us spotted. It's all been overwhelming. But we decided to heed the advice from many on this site to enjoy the boat.

We will be taking pictures from now on anytime we hand it over to anyone!

Not exactly what I wanted to hear. Since we got the boat in July, the seagrass flooring has become quite stained on the side where they acid washed it, just to add to the problems. I have not heard from my dealer yet what they are willing to do but expect that will be coming soon as the season is winding up. 

Back