My docking lights are very weak

sunedog

Reaction score
The LED docking lights on my new-to-me 2012 2275 GSX are quite a disappointment. I estimate they have a brightness of about 1 foot candle (the brightness of a candle at one foot distance). I live about half a mile back in a narrow cove and need decent lights to maneuver past my neighbors' docked boats. :-(

Is my situation unique or are your LED dock lights weak as well? If no one else has this problem, I'll start examining mine to see if they are possibly not getting full power or if I can figure out some other explanation.

Hmm, I think some have reported the LED's as not being very bright but others seem to think they're just fine. I have the regular lights so I can't speak from experience but I'm sure others will chime in.

The LED docking lights on my new-to-me 2012 2275 GSX are quite a disappointment. I estimate they have a brightness of about 1 foot candle (the brightness of a candle at one foot distance). I live about half a mile back in a narrow cove and need decent lights to maneuver past my neighbors' docked boats. :-(

Is my situation unique or are your LED dock lights weak as well? If no one else has this problem, I'll start examining mine to see if they are possibly not getting full power or if I can figure out some other explanation.
Check your connections and bulbs, they should light up the water. My 2003 lights were very bright.

I have the stainless myself on a 2011 RL. They look nice is all I can say. I use a hand held rechargeable. Been looking at the Led lights from TSC . Thought I might mount one under the bow for docking?

I mounted a 12" LED light bar under the deck of my boat. That with the docking lights are plenty. If we need it, we have a high powered rechargeable light for scanning the area we are entering.

Check your connections and bulbs, they should light up the water. My 2003 lights were very bright.

The docking lights on my 2001 Benny were plenty bright, too. These stainless fixtures with LED lights are much dimmer.

Mine aren't that bright... but adequate for short distances.

On my 2012 RL I have the stainless steal docking lights and I agree they are fairly weak

I have the stainless myself on a 2011 RL. They look nice is all I can say

I see I am not the only one less than impressed with the output.

I mounted a 12" LED light bar under the deck of my boat. That with the docking lights are plenty.

I will probably go this route. Thanks to all

I mounted a 12" LED light bar under the deck of my boat.

Are you satisfied with the one you bought? Can you provide brand / model / link? There are a million choices out there. Thanks!

I have no idea which brand it is. My wife bought it from Groupon, so I figured it would be a great addition to at least try out. I was confident that it is water resistant/proof since it's designed to be mounted on the outside of a vehicle. Works great and provides that extra lighting I sometime need when going through a canal in the late night. (as long as there aren't other boaters present).

Back