My marinas bird problem, and my solution

Dennis T.

Reaction score
the marina i keep my Benny at has a recent bird problem. some of the larger birds love to sit on top of the collapsed B-tops and crap all over the boat. I clean the cover but dont like it at all and it can stain if not clean fast. some have used orange snow fencing, some use fake owls. I have a more aggressive solution. This is first try and will replace zip ties with bungee soon for easier removal. IMG_1687.JPG IMG_1685.JPG IMG_1686.JPG

Let us know how it works. My method was a little more heartless.

What was your method laakeliving; put birdseed on your neighbors boat?

What was your method laakeliving; put birdseed on your neighbors boat?
If I am not mistaken ,a pellet rifle

Not trying to jinx myself ,but for what ever reason .The birds up here prefer dark colored boats ( knock on wood )

I heard birds go faster on red boats.........or something like that. o_O

The other would be more fun ( as long as you are a good shot )

the marina i keep my Benny at has a recent bird problem. some of the larger birds love to sit on top of the collapsed B-tops and crap all over the boat. I clean the cover but dont like it at all and it can stain if not clean fast. some have used orange snow fencing, some use fake owls. I have a more aggressive solution. This is first try and will replace zip ties with bungee soon for easier removal. View attachment 21526 View attachment 21528 View attachment 21529
That looks like a good way to discourage perching and birds from using your bimini and tow bar as a bird outhouse. What exactly did you zip tie onto your bimini and tow bar?

Just be glad you don't have the problem there is at our boat ramps. Vultures love anything rubber, and they like to stand on hoods and truck roofs and chew windshield wipers and windshield trim. Their claws will do serious damage to paint jobs too. They would be worthy of the front end of a shotgun had the boat ramps not be in state parks and other highly traveled places.

We use those on our bimini too. Blue herons use to love to finish their business on ours. Three times in 3 weeks. That was enough. After we installed, my buddy asked what we were using as he saw one come in to land and abort at the last second ..... mission accomplished!

At our old marina in Virginia I used foil pie pans. They scared the birds off when they moved in the wind ...

be sure and get the plastic ones, just in case they fall on a seat when removing etc.... metal can be harsh on unintended surfaces.

Hey all new guy here…this brings up a question I have. Taking delivery tomorrow and we are keeping the boat in a Marina. Got a nice slip 25yds from the parking spot but have an option for a covered slip similar to what is pictured by the OP. Is a covered slip worth it? We are in SC and boat will be on dry land during the winter months. My main concern with the covered slip was birds. Seems like rain and sun vs bird shit. Any thoughts? Seems like most folks leave the pontoons in the uncovered slips and the factory cover does the job but if a little extra money is worth protecting the boat I'd consider moving to a covered slip.

Welcome, and I vote for covered. Why is your boat going to be out of the water during the winter months? Warm days during the winter happen.

I loved my covered slip. On those rainy days that you have nothing better to do than sit and wait for it to stop raining. You can sit on your boat (or clean it). It's also nice to have when cleaning or resting and not have the sun beating down on you. As for those little rats with wings, they will find you if your slip is covered or not. I got more use out of a covered slip.

Back