My new LED and Garmin 301 Downvu install

T20Lakedude

Reaction score
Took about 3 days to do install with no help! Use two fish tapes for new transducer cable, 301 fit in old 100 cut out from factory. Downview 3D effect is a classic look of what's under your boat. LEDs were installed with boat on lift, a lot of laying on back. Bought LED kit online from Boatwiringstore.com, had to use a little imagination on Port wiring harness hook up.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/zpyf0x9ne2brs0m/6T23Hcegyh

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet!  B)   How do you like the DownVu?

Great job! I just got my pontoon and I'm thinking about adding some LED to the exterior. I also have the Garmin 100 and it works for depth but I plan on updating that as well. Post some more details and pic when you get a chance. 

Nice !! Might have to check out that 301 to replace mine.

Nice job T20Lakedude.  Love the sidelights.  Did you buy kit from Bennington?

Nice job was the 301 hard to install

Nice job T20Lakedude.  Love the sidelights.  Did you buy kit from Bennington?
Sorry been off line! Bought kit from Boatwiringstore.com.

Nice job was the 301 hard to install
The unit has same footprint of G100 so it fit great in factory slot. The transducer cable could not be used for the rear pigtail used by factory for quick connect. Fished new cable above Port toon, then through midsection to factory cable opening under helm. The G100 power cable was kept in place do to compatibility. Took about 6 hours by myself with interruptions, but could do it again in two with assistance.

Been off line for a few days. Hope this helps!

Great job! I just got my pontoon and I'm thinking about adding some LED to the exterior. I also have the Garmin 100 and it works for depth but I plan on updating that as well. Post some more details and pic when you get a chance.
Look at post to RReaume for work detail. Not sure what other pics I can deliver, but thanks for the compliment!

sweet! B) How do you like the DownVu?
The DownVu is a neat trick for a depth finder. Works best in shadowed or low light and you can program various color schemes. I've found old bridge formations, small buildings and forest groves under the lake just riding around. You can see a lot of apparent lost anchors and ropes in certain deep coves. Love the amnesties for the cost. The 200 & 77 MHz views are real clear and defining in non-color mode.

That is awesome, did you hook up the lights to the "mood" lighting accesory switch, or did you use an unused switch?

Did you run into any surprises with the wiring? 

That is awesome, did you hook up the lights to the "mood" lighting accesory switch, or did you use an unused switch?

Did you run into any surprises with the wiring?
Kelli's, I hooked up to the empty 5 amp switch next to mood light on GSR, the LED strips only pull 2.3 amps per side. The only issue was getting the correct spad connection on switch. The instructions on the wiring package doesn't match the Benni schematic so a little investigation got it right. It helps to have a helper, I didn't and it was hard to crawl in and out of helm to test to save on mistakes. The rub rail has two 1/2 inch ledges inside to mount strips perfectly.

Inside that channel you're referring to, are they mounted pointing down or toward the toons? Did you use that extra channel in the kit and screw it in?

Are the leds just one continuous run on each side of the tunes with one power, or is it two strips with two runs? Or run with an in line amplifier halfway?

I'm asking because I was under the impression you can't go more than 16 feet without running into voltage drop.

Also does that 5 amp switch already have the power to it? So you just ran that directly to the LED strips, or controller (if any)?

I have a few extra reels of RGB waterproof strips, so I'm thinking I can probably just tap it that way instead of through the distribution hub (safetyhub150)

Great Job T20.  Very well done!!!

T20 on the 301 DV install what was the reason you had to run a whole new transducer cable? I'm not clear from above.

I have a GSR also and the cable has a quick connect at the stern...could I not just connect the new transducer there instead of a whole new cable?

I love the DV models and hoping install one soon. Thanks buddy

The DV transducer & cable is sealed one piece unit. It only disconnects at the screen end.

Oh i see....Benny must have incorporated the quick connect i thought it was Garmins. Thanks for the clarification.

Back