My Weekend Project

Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
For me everyday is a holiday, everyday is a weekend 

But the weather this weekend is going to be great or so they say !!!

So here she is 

My weekend project

105453768.jpg

She's had a long brutal winter and like me has seen better days 

But I think with a good power washing 

A coat or 6 of stain 

105453734.jpg

Some stainless steel cleats, bumper cushions, and maybe an indoor outdoor carpet to eliminate splinters

She will be a new girl ready to meet the new Benny 

Then after she is done the deck will be refaced completely

Honestly  I may put another set of pipes with augers on her as well

If you have any ideas of sprucing her up .......

I am open to any and all comments

The outdoor projects are officially underway

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I am in the same boat also being retired; Maybe I better come down and take a look for a couple of weeks so I don't give the wrong advice.  Maybe bring Andy as he has some experience on Decks 

Link,

You know what it is like at the Lake 

Everyone is always welcomed 

And your expertise is always appreciated.

58202709.jpg

Since I am in the same boat also being retired; Maybe I better come down and take a look for a couple of weeks so I don't give the wrong advice.  Maybe bring Andy as he has some experience on Decks 
Maybe Andy's going to be too busy building one for ME (I wish)! His deck is beautiful, so take his advice for sure.

Seems like this product has some decent reviews. Might be worth looking into instead of stain. BEHR Premium DeckOver 1-gal. Wood and Concrete Paint.

You can also look at using synthetic board to refinish the top my uncle has a complete deck built out of this and it holds up year after year with no worries of splinters. Only downfall is it can get hot to touch in direct sun.

I am planning on going to The Big Box Stores tomorrow to pick up the supplies

Power washing tomorrow 

Love this time of year

0511-0907-3023-5167_Man_Using_a_Power_Washer_clipart_image.jpg

With the power washing completed 

I am off to the Big Box Store for .....

rust-oleum-deck-and-concrete-restore-PLPCP.jpg

I am purchasing the Restore 10x why cut corners for the small increase in price 

Surprised to see so may color choices, a huge selection.

A friend used this on his old house deck - not a dock - and it looks great! He's very satisfied after 2 years of use.

I do know he looked at the Behr but not sure what research made him he chose the restore.

Sounds like a fun project. Curious to see the results. Have you considered replacing the boards the new? I'd recommend azek if you do. It is a cellular PVC product that is much lighter than trex, has no wood fillers and just an all around beautiful product. Cuts nice and easy to install with cortex hidden fasteners.

Thanks for the nice comments guys on our deck. Your all welcome to swing by anytime and relax on it with me.

I am going to be buying composite for the decks around the house. 

Though doing the dock at the same time would be great

I am trying to keep the overall cost down

Too many projects at once

While researching the dock

Restore 10x just makes it more economical 

money+tree.jpg

pghpa, I have a few friends that used the restore on decks.  One came out quite a bit better look-wise than the other in my opinion.  He told me that he applied a little more pressure and put it on thinner than recommended.

Thank you Link,

They want me to use a textured roller with product and recommend that

I use two coats. I due to the limited coverage area am going to try a brush if possible, 

but knowing it is 10x normal paint the attempt made be futile which I will resort to a smooth 

roller for application. The disadvantage to the product is once applied your screw heads 

on floor boards are completely covered. That may be a concern in future for replacement.

Today we have rain here which has put the painting on hold.

Mistwetter.gif

Based on what I've seen they are counting on the nap of the roller to fill the cracks and apply a good even amount of product. Not sure on the longevity of a brush application. You know what they say, do it right the first time!

I have to agree with what you said

They know their product and the best way to apply it for maximum benefit

I will use the textured roller and do the 2 coats 

Who knows if I get good results I may use on the lake deck if not all decks

Food for thought.....

Which looks BEST ?

Roller would be easier, the smooth roller may still be an option !

Yup, 2 coats rolled.

Back