My winterizing strategy....

jhill

Reaction score
I guess living in a mild climate like Portland, Oregon has its benefits. Our winters might hit 20 degrees for a week and maybe 3-4 inches of snow total in average year. The rest of the time in high 30's to low 50's. I was told by Bennington dealer to just add winter fuel stabilizer to fuel tank that is under half full after last trip of summer. Run it enough to have treated fuel in engine injection system. Leave outboard all the way down in operating vertical position and it will self drain. Turn off battery switch. Trickle charge batteries a few times over winter. Done! Ours is on trailer and backed under 14' W x 40' L x 12' tall walls VersaTube kit RV shelter so stays under a roof. Change quality oil and filter at maximum 100 hours. Put mooring cover on it when entire inside bone dry. If you are only putting on 30 or less hours a year, I think some professional "winterizing" in mild climate is overkill. Of course eventually needs lower unit oil change, water pump impeller, fuel filters, spark plug change, etc. Keep track of hours and service per manufacturer specs. We only use in freshwater. I bought my 2013 22 SLX in 2017 and traded it in February 2020 and was just coming up on the 100 hour since dealer did oil change before we bought it. No service costs at all. This used 2017 22 SSRCX had 29.5 hours in February (dealer changed oil as they routinely do on trade ins before reselling) and now about 50 hours total after summer use. Am I so wrong in my service strategy? Fuel injection and electronic ignition solves so many old carburetor and choke issues that used to be common with outboards. What are your thoughts? :cool:

I typically put on 50 hours over a 5 month time span. Just pulled it from the water yesterday, changed oil and filter and will do lower unit oil. I do that each year, and I do it myself, so cost is minimal. I could probably skip a year, and perhaps would if my only option would be having dealer do the work. It’s not just the dealer cost but the inconvenience of transporting it there and back. I can do the work in an hour, and store the boat at my place of business, inside. You have a similar storage situation. If you have the ability to self service, then, hey, oil is cheap, spend an hour and get the satisfaction of doing it yourself. . But I doubt you are high risk by doing it every other tear, with those hours.

I have had 2 strokes in the past and went through an extensive winterization on them to include fogging the carb and cylinders. This year is my first winter with the Bennington and a lovely EFI four stroke motor. I was all set to do the fogging this weekend and glad I read the owners manual on the motor first. It says to do just what you mentioned...add fuel stabilizer and make sure to run the engine enough to get it through the system. I did also change lower unit oil and engine oil/filter. It’s all cleaned and covered. Just took it to the storage barn today. 990FDF30-E6FD-4AA6-B61A-47FC50D731E2.jpeg

Attachments

• 58A80021-E79B-427F-8946-E9FB7FB2E04E.jpeg
    58A80021-E79B-427F-8946-E9FB7FB2E04E.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 8
One thing to think about if you are getting freezing temperatures is its always good to change your lower unit fluids and inspect in case you maybe caught some fishing line and wrecked the seal, possibly letting water in.

I have had 2 strokes in the past and went through an extensive winterization on them to include fogging the carb and cylinders. This year is my first winter with the Bennington and a lovely EFI four stroke motor. I was all set to do the fogging this weekend and glad I read the owners manual on the motor first. It says to do just what you mentioned...add fuel stabilizer and make sure to run the engine enough to get it through the system. I did also change lower unit oil and engine oil/filter. It’s all cleaned and covered. Just took it to the storage barn today. View attachment 28140
Whew! Your first sentence startled me......"I have had 2 strokes in the past".

One thing to think about if you are getting freezing temperatures is its always good to change your lower unit fluids and inspect in case you maybe caught some fishing line and wrecked the seal, possibly letting water in.
That should be on everyone's annual service.
At the very least, crack the drain screw to see the color of the fluid. If clean (and full), I call it good at that point.

Full winterization here. Bummer is that snow came about a month early - I'm usually still on the water!

View attachment 28173
Brrrrrrrrr! May have to hang up the "speedo" swim suit for the year.....lol.....great looking Benny

Back