National Boat Covers - Buyer Beware!

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I just wanted to post this as a warning to anyone considering purchasing a 'semi-custom' boat cover from National Boat Covers/Eevelle. I recently bought a semi-custom Windstorm cover from them for my 2275 GCW for about $500. Their website says 'FIT GUARANTEE' and 'EASY RETURNS' boldly at the top of each page, so I felt pretty good about it. I didn't expect it to be an absolutely perfect fit, all I hoped for was something that would work better than my snap-on mooring cover that I could also trailer with.

Unfortunately, the pattern they had on file for the 2275 GCW appears to be WAY off. I don't know if they just go by overall width and length, but it was a terrible fit that seemed to assume the playpen of the boat went all the way to the front and back, leaving corners of fabric that would flap wildly in the wind if towed. Additionally, there was not even close to enough fabric over the bimini portion to get the cover all the way down below the deck. It just plain didn't fit. I would expect a non-semi-custom plain old universal cover to fit better. 

So I contacted them and they sent a return label. After receiving it, they called and said the cover has to be in 'new condition' in order to return it so they were sending it back to me and no refund or resolution would be possible. Apparently while trying the cover on, a tiny grease spot got on the edge of it by coming in contact with motor (or so they say). But they flat out guaranteed it would fit. Was I supposed to wrap the cover in plastic to try it on, just in case it didn't? Anyway, after trying to talk it through, they flat out refused to help and now it appears we will be fighting it out over a credit card dispute. We talked to supervisors, we asked nicely for any kind of fix, even a partial refund. NOTHING. They just basically told us to go to hell.

I just wanted to post this for anyone considering one of these for your Bennington. Maybe you'll have a better experience, but BE CAREFUL if you aren't totally confident it will fit. This company seems happy to seize any opportunity to deny a return or make the situation right. The fact that they supposedly have 25,000+ reviews and only 2 that are 1-star or 2-star make me even more suspicious. Maybe that's why I haven't found how I can leave my own review....  :angry:

EDIT: Looks like they have a big fat F with the BBB. Not a surprise. http://www.bbb.org/san-diego/Business-Reviews/covers-protective/eevelle-llc-in-carlsbad-ca-171985405/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of your dilemna.

I had a similar non-fit issue (too small) with a cover last year.  They sent me a return label and sent me the next larger size which was okay but was not perfect.  I was short a strap and contacted them and they said they would send out the missing strap.  That was all a year ago and I still haven't received the strap with even two more attempts at letting them know I did not get the strap.  Finally gave up.

bcpnick,

Wow, not good business practice, If you paid for the cover with a credit card. Depute the payment. Write too every consumer agency you can locate on the web, use twitter and facebook to write your review, share your store. If you did use a credit card contact the CC company consumer protection department. I had a problem like this with boat lift guy. I paid in cash. I used social media for my review. I had a lawyer write a letter to the guy with the appropriate verbiage for resolution or we would take whatever action needed for him to honor his agreement with me or refund my money plus lawyer fees. He corrected the problem. National Boat Covers/Eevelle they guarantee it to fit and easy return. They breached their agreement with you, plan and simply.Good luck

We've started the dispute process. I sure hope that does the trick. I am definitely going to do my best to make sure other people know about it. I do SEO and manage online reputations/listings for a couple of companies so getting the word out is a specialty of mine. They picked a fight with the wrong guy. :)

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a ...... I hate businesses like that. I have a ruthless wife when it comes to these types of issues. If I can't resolve the issue peacefully I hand her the phone and run for the hills until the dust settles....I think customer service goes in waves. She actually just had to shovel a yard of pea gravel into the bed of the truck as the landscape place only had a 50 yard scoop it seemed and they didn't care if the truck got damgaed. He then began yelling at her that women shouldn't drive fancy trucks and it is driving up the price for people who use them for work. Crazy!! I wasn't there or I'd slam the bucket down on his head and burry him in the mulch pile.

Good luck on the cover issue. Wow.

Maybe I am just getting old but it seems that businesses now have forgotten about service and other issues that can effect customer loyalty.  I miss business on a handshake and the customer is always right.  It seems that number of units sold is now the ruling force of business. 

Yeah, with today's technology, a companies lack of performance, whether it be financial or employee oriented, is known in seconds. The Internet can make you or break you quickly these days.

Just a quick update to this - It took a while, but as of today, we did end up winning the credit card dispute against them. :)

Just a quick update to this - It took a while, but as of today, we did end up winning the credit card dispute against them. :)
Congratulations!  It is great that most of our CC companies work to ensure our satisfaction!

Everyone should be aware that to get all the benefits of Visa/MC protection, you must use a credit card.  V/MC branded debit cards don't always come with the buyer protections (most don't) as they are managed by your bank.  I found out the hard way when I bought a TV with my debit visa card.  Since it was branded Visa, I thought I got the "double" mfg warranty.  16mos of owning the TV, it needed repair.  Not covered because it was a debit card.  I ended up paying the $400 bill.  Had I used my Capital One card, it would have been covered.

Fraudulent visa/mc debit charges will always be covered if reported timely, but the personal banks may not put in the extra effort necessary to dispute a case like this.  Most CC companies will.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's helpful to know. I didn't know that.

One item that the credit dispute doesn't work well is on a motel bill.  We have employees staying out of town often and they get lazy looking at the check in papers.  We had a signed contract for the room rate but the clerk charged a really wrong rate.  The owner refused to adjust and I disputed the billings and lost.  Another time/place the employee got no paperwork, the owner charged twice the room rate and during the credit card charge dispute could produce no paperwork and we still lost the dispute. 

Time to start using Hotels. I doubt the big chains would do that. They typically will bend over backwards to make you happy pertaining to your stay.

Big chains have really big daily rates and some of the places we go have never heard of a Hampton Inn.  Over the years, we have had very little problems with billings.  I just have learned that Mr Patel will probably win a credit card dispute so my guys need to do their job when checking in.  Having said that lots of times to them, the reality is, it isn't going to happen and do I want to have a heart attack over it.  NO, I would rather spend time with my family. 

Back