need a new prop

Geoffrey & Brenda

Reaction score
I got caught up in a rocky bottom area this weekend and dinged up my prop, i will send it out to be repaired, but now is my chance to try a different prop.

My current prop is a Michigan Wheel Vortex 14"x13p and i can only get 5600 rpm out of my Yamaha T50. Am i correct in thinking i need to go with a 14"x11p to gain some rpm?

Do any of you have any suggestions on what brand or style to try? Also, it is a 15 spline, do all 15 spline props mount the same or do i need a Yamaha specific prop?

Thanks for any input!

Geoffrey

Try an 11 pitch and I think you need Yamaha specific.

My 115 spools up to 5950 with a 13p and only 5200 with a 15p. I think 11p would be better.

I got caught up in a rocky bottom area this weekend and dinged up my prop, i will send it out to be repaired, but now is my chance to try a different prop.

My current prop is a Michigan Wheel Vortex 14"x13p and i can only get 5600 rpm out of my Yamaha T50. Am i correct in thinking i need to go with a 14"x11p to gain some rpm?

Do any of you have any suggestions on what brand or style to try? Also, it is a 15 spline, do all 15 spline props mount the same or do i need a Yamaha specific prop?

Thanks for any input!

Geoffrey
Glad I saw this post! I had a similar incident, and need to replace the prop on my T50, too.

Well, i got my new prop today. I went with a Solas Amita 14" x 11P  Specific for a Yamaha. Reasonably priced, $86 and some change including shipping.

I'll get the boat out this weekend and see how it performs. I know i won't see any huge difference, i just want the rpm's up close to redline, and maybe a mile or two top speed increase.

Well, i got my new prop today. I went with a Solas Amita 14" x 11P  Specific for a Yamaha. Reasonably priced, $86 and some change including shipping.

I'll get the boat out this weekend and see how it performs. I know i won't see any huge difference, i just want the rpm's up close to redline, and maybe a mile or two top speed increase.
Not sure what my prop is but I know I only run around 5400-5500 WOT (which we RARELY do). I'm interested to see what change it makes for you. Mine is a 50 also.

I went to put my new prop on last evening, removed the cotter pin, removed the nut, then the spacer. Pulled the prop and all was going well, installed the new prop, then spacer, and then realised the spacer was too shallow and does not hold the prop down tight against the rear shaft spacer.

Ok, went into the shop to look for answers, washers? nothing the right size, hmmm, Don't want to alter the spacer, as i may need to put the old prop back on someday. Don't want to cobble anything, sooo, over to the metal lathe, grab some round aluminum stock, and get busy making a new one.

Got the outer diameter cut down, bored the hole for the threaded portion, and will finish up the counter bore for the splined portion tonight, part it off and should be good to go.

So the moral of the story is.....check to see if you need an install kit when ordering that new prop!

I realize that "Michigan" & "Solas" are cheaper alternatives, but due to interchangeability and any slight performance advantages I prefer to run the OEM props.

Bill, i see you have not posted any numbers pertaining to your setup, so what  is your oem prop, and are you happy with the performance it is providing you?

My boat came with a Michigan prop installed by the dealer, and at the time i never gave it much thought, it performed just the way he said it would.

But now that i have damaged it, i see it as an opportunity to try to improve on those numbers, and if through my lack of foresight, and eventual remedy for it, helps others from making the same mistake, i am happy to share my experience.

But, it is now time to leave for the lake, new prop, gps, some snacks and beverages, and we'll see if i have made any improvment!

Thanks Bill,

Well, after a nice day on the lake, i have to report that the new prop borders on being too much. It gives a great hole shot, and got me up to 21mph, but at a frightening 6500 rpm. I never expected that much rpm increase, and i am kinda worried because i never felt the rev limiter do anything.

Mind you this was with 2 people, 1/2 tank of fuel, and a fairly light cooler load. so when loaded i expect the rpm to be within an acceptable range. I will just have to be mindful of rpm when lightly loaded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back