Need a privacy enclosure.. and quick!

ScottinLKN

Reaction score
Greetings all--

Brand new to this forum and am looking for some help.

We have a deal pending on a 2012 QCW.  Unfortunately, when I got the official specs, I noticed that the original owner deleted the privacy enclosure when he ordered the boat.  This is a big deal for my bride.

The selling dealer has quoted what seems to be a crazy price to have one installed.  I hate to call the deal off, but the add-on cost just isn't worth it.

Anybody out there have one in their garage or boat house that you want to get rid of?

If so, please let me know asap -- I probably have a 48 hr. window to work with before I have to call it off and let another interested party have this boat.

Please let me know what you'd need for it.

Thanks in advance-- you may help keep a deal on a really great boat!

Scott in Lake Norman

I don't think it's an easy add on. Let it go and get what you really want. We live on LKN and have the changing room on our 07' and have never used it.

There are also after market changing rooms. Same thing just a little more work to put up. I have one in mine and the oly thing I used it. For last season was to pee in a bottle when the water was too cold to get it. Oh, and I used it as camouflage to spy on others that did not have one when they were changing... (Just kidding)

There are several after market versions out there.  I put one on my boat that only involved screwing 4 eyes to the bimini frame which took about 1/2 hour.  The enclosure then snaps onto the eyes.  ($50 - $100)

When I proposed a new Bennie to my dear wife, she didn't care about the price, color, motor or anything....... only that it had a privacy enclosure.

Of course, she was right..... not that I doubted her. ;-)

I wouldn't let a privacy enclosure get in the mix of the deal (especially if its a great deal).  Check Overton's for some aftermarket privacy enclosures.  If you're handy, you might be able to fabricate your own.  

Greetings all--

Brand new to this forum and am looking for some help.

We have a deal pending on a 2012 QCW.  Unfortunately, when I got the official specs, I noticed that the original owner deleted the privacy enclosure when he ordered the boat.  This is a big deal for my bride.

The selling dealer has quoted what seems to be a crazy price to have one installed.  I hate to call the deal off, but the add-on cost just isn't worth it.

Anybody out there have one in their garage or boat house that you want to get rid of?

If so, please let me know asap -- I probably have a 48 hr. window to work with before I have to call it off and let another interested party have this boat.

Please let me know what you'd need for it.

Thanks in advance-- you may help keep a deal on a really great boat!

Scott in Lake Norman
Hi Scott, welcome to the forum.

The original owner saved himself $275 at retail by deleting the privacy enclosure from his Q. You didn't say exactly how "crazy" your dealer's price to buy and install this factory item was so... 

Best of luck!

First the question should be asked, are you looking for an enclosure just to change clothes, or for porti potty reasons? If it's just to change, than absolutely no big deal, lots of options that attach to the bimini frame, if for bathroom options, well, still not a huge deal if you don't mind it happening in the middle of the boat under the same bimini hanging curtain, you'd just have to find a place to store the porti potty. 

Have one on our boat.  In 2 years have never used it.

Our privacy has a full commode in it using sani bags.  We have a cabin on the lake but I still wouldn't be without it.  Used mainly in the Spring and Fall when the water is pretty cold and actually don't use it that much but would not be without it

Fellow boaters:

Thanks for the all great advice, observations, history and humor.... loved the one about "I just use it to hide and watch people who DON'T have one"....

We're moving ahead with the purchase based largely on what I read here.  If another dealer quotes us the same, I will go the after-market route or keep sniffing around until I find one that's been removed and has no home.  

The porta-potti thing is a whole different bag of snacks that I will start dealing with soon.  The concept of carrying the 'unit' from the dock to my house for empting is just plain unsettling.  Maybe the disposable bag route is the way to go....  So many things to learn....in between just plain having fun.

Thanks again all...

Scottin, That is what I like about the sani bags.  I dreaded the thought of carrying a bucket of pee to the camp and then cleaning it.  The sani bags holds up to 32oz of liquid, turning it instantly into a gel.  When ready to dispose close it like your kitchen garbage and drop in the dumpster.  Absolutely painless

We don't live on the lake so we use our enclosure all the time. It sits right on top of our motor pod so it's nice and warm in there. It's good at the end of the day to change out of wet bathing suits and put dry ones on in preparation for the ride home. It's a "must have" feature for my wife too!!!!!!

The privacy enclosure and porta potty were "must haves" for my wife too and we've already gotten a lot of use out of them.  We use our boat more for socializing than water sports, and I'm not sure she's ever going to get in the water.  Having the enclosure in the back as opposed to amidships was a big factor that drove our layout choice.  

Yes JTaylor, having the privacy enclosure mid ship definitely is not what I would want and it drove our choice of boat model layout as well.  I suppose Bennington doesn't have a choice with some of the designs

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn, not that kitty litter thing again. Last time I tried this I tracked it all over the boat.  :eek:

I'm really curious at this point. What did the dealer want to install the genuine Bennington privacy enclosure. I posted earlier that if you delete this item from your build you save $275 at retail. 

I purchased the add-on mid summer last year for our boat. I did the install myself which help keep the cost down. It was simple to install, and worth every penny for my family and friends. We can now stay out on the boat for hours without having to drive in or jump in for potty breaks.lol They also work great for changing out of wet clothes or into bathing suits. IMO its worth it.

I went with the 5gal bucket/seat combo using kitty litter as well after Semper suggested it last year to me. It works awesome and is very cost effective!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update to the end of this story.... Dealer went back and did more research.  Total cost is really $435, not 1,300.  So it's a done deal and thanks again for all the help and advice... I will be back later to talk about grills, gps and command link, etc, etc, etc,....  

We think we will have our boat shipped from No. PA and in the water at Lake Norman in time for the 4th of July.   Probably not the ideal time for orientation, but maybe a kind soul who lives on the lake will offer to show us the basics... I also think the local Bennington dealer will probably be willing.   

Thanks again everyone!

Scott

Back