Need advice - Mercury 150 hp fuel pump issue-acts like ran out of gas

Forsythe

Reaction score
Need help - 3 weeks at dealer and still not sure of diagnosis and of course the 3 year warranty is up...ugh.  Have Bennington 2013 GCW tritoon w/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke outboard (#150L 4S)motor.  Acted like it ran out of gas (gas sending unit broke at the time, but fixed now) and filled up the tank.  Took boat out ran fine first day, but 2nd day going approx 35-40 RPM just started sputtering then completely died.  Started back up and did this several times until we made it back to boathouse.  After talking with several people it seems this Mercury motor has a dual fuel pump system that does not have the "bulb" to manually override a possible bad "sensor".  So, at the mercy of the dealer to diagnose.  Anyone else having issues like this and any suggestions?

Make sure your gas cap is on tight, believe it or not a loose cap can cause problems

Check the fuel filter, also fill the tank up and see if it does it again, if not you have contaminants in your fuel that float on top of the fuel when the tank is full but as the gas tank runs down your motor sucks the contaminants in causing your problem. I had that happen.

Need help - 3 weeks at dealer and still not sure of diagnosis and of course the 3 year warranty is up...ugh. Have Bennington 2013 GCW tritoon w/ Mercury 150hp 4 stroke outboard (#150L 4S)motor. Acted like it ran out of gas (gas sending unit broke at the time, but fixed now) and filled up the tank. Took boat out ran fine first day, but 2nd day going approx 35-40 RPM just started sputtering then completely died. Started back up and did this several times until we made it back to boathouse. After talking with several people it seems this Mercury motor has a dual fuel pump system that does not have the "bulb" to manually override a possible bad "sensor". So, at the mercy of the dealer to diagnose. Anyone else having issues like this and any suggestions?
I am having similar symptoms with my merc 150.
Anyone know the problem?
Replaced fuel filter, water sep filter, and tested my gas.
Also replaced spark plugs.

Have change your two fuel filters. The fuel water separator and the inline fuel filter. There is a filter (VST FILTER) that's on both Mercury and Yamaha that clogs over time.

Have change your two fuel filters. The fuel water separator and the inline fuel filter. There is a filter (VST FILTER) that's on both Mercury and Yamaha that clogs over time.
I'll check the VST filter but I already changed all the filters I listed above. I'm only at 180 hours and have used Merc fuel treatment pretty regularly with 100% gas. This seems like a pump or sensor problem instead. Really wish the OP would update his post with the final solution.

OP hasn't been on the forum since ,
Forsythe was last seen: Aug 4, 2017
It happens a lot, people ask a question and never return. You could send him a PM ,see if he responds

I had a problem with my fuel water separator and sensor my second year, when under approximately 50 hours. When they rigged my boat, they placed the fuel separator in a God awful spot fo accessibility, and then in a way that put tension on the sensor wires. Over time, it snapped my sensor, and ruined the separator. They fixed it, but it was an avoidable issue to begin with. Even it’s low hours, sometimes unexpected (and even preventable) things happen.

Back