Need Advice on New Boat... Please

peeruwp

Reaction score
I have been reading this forum and found it helpful as I look into a boat from my family. We want the ability to host 10+ people at times and do some tubing and a little skiing casually. After reading threads, I switched out the Express toons to the SPS. Please take a look at the current specs and let me know if there are other things I should seriously be considering. Salesmen said the hydraulic steering is included in the SPS package. A coupe areas I am looking at is the extended aft deck but it hasn't jumped out as a must have yet and will like add at turbo swing bar for tubing. The boat will stay in the water all season and used on a river that can get choppy with big boats and stored in the winter. Any advice would be helpful. THANK YOU!

Attachments

• IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 46
It shows the Merc package. FYI the hydraulic steering is not power assisted steering.

It shows the Merc package. FYI the hydraulic steering is not power assisted steering.
Thanks, yeah it has merc listed but I can get yamaha instead if I wanted. I don't really know if one was better than the other. Is power assisted steering a must have in your opinion?

Concerning the debate of Yamaha vs Mercury IMO the are both solid quality engines. I would go with the brand your dealer specializes in as you will be looking to him for service

Not sure if I am reading your build sheet correctly but I see you selected Portable Cupholder SV (2) and you got 2 of them. I had this option picked out for my boat but my dealer pointed out to me if you look on the left it shows standard features interior it comes with 2 stainless steel portable cupholders. If you want a bunch of them that's fine but between the cupholders on the table, seats, and the 2 it comes with you should have plenty. Just wanted to bring it to your attention if you weren't aware of this. I thought the same thing and tried to put it on my build. If you delete that you can add a different option if you want... :)

In my opinion the extended aft deck is a must have. Makes life much easer when boarding, tubIng, putting on cover etc. Power steering enhances the boating experience, whether it be tubing, docking etc. I wouldn’t be without it. With water sports on your agenda I’m guessing you are getting at least a 150. We have the Yamaha 150 and it fulfills all our needs. Just a note on portable cupholders, two came with our boat and we have never needed to use them.

In my opinion the extended aft deck is a must have. Makes life much easer when boarding, tubing, putting on cover etc. Power steering enhances the boating experience, whether it be tubing, docking etc. I wouldn’t be without it. With water sports on your agenda I’m guessing you are getting at least a 150. We have the Yamaha 150 and it fulfills all our needs. Just a note on portable cupholders, two came with our boat and we have never needed to use them.

I would second the extended aft deck. Even with that you don't get a lot of room but it certainly helps. As Mike pointed out it makes tubing, skiing, and having people on the back of the boat much easier. Would also make putting your cover on easier too. You should consider this. To twist your arm a little it would also be good for resale when you want to upgrade in the years to come. :)

Update: the dealer said that this model, "S", does not have the option for docking lights or the extended aft deck. Does that seem accurate?

I would seriously consider going with 200hp if you are going to be having that many people on your pontoon. I recommend power assist steering. Look at pricing an SX it’s not much more and the seats are much more “finished” looking since they wrap around to the gate. If you are at the edge of your budget now. That build will bring you a lot of fun!!!

I would seriously consider going with 200hp if you are going to be having that many people on your pontoon. I recommend power assist steering. Look at pricing an SX it’s not much more and the seats are much more “finished” looking since they wrap around to the gate. If you are at the edge of your budget now. That build will bring you a lot of fun!!!

Interesting that it looks like on the Bennington site, the aft deck extension and the dock lights are available as options on the S.

This is the “Family Value” series. Very limited options. Like dealer stated, looks like extended deck is not available.
I’m actually surprised they offer the performance package.

Interesting that it looks like on the Bennington site, the aft deck extension and the dock lights are available as options on the S.

This as an “SV“ series, not the regular “S” series.

This is the “Family Value” series. Very limited options. Like dealer stated, looks like extended deck is not available.
I’m actually surprised they offer the performance package.

ahhhh, that makes sense. Limited options but are the builds and materials the same as the the other S series boat. Dealer price coming in around $44k without a trailer.

ahhhh, that makes sense. Limited options but are the builds and materials the same as the the other S series boat. Dealer price coming in around $44k without a trailer.

From their site:
Our Standards Never Change
We never skimp when it comes to quality construction. Our SV Model features a manufacturing process identical to our top of the line models - utilizing the same materials, the same processes and the same 10-year warranty.

As SemperFi pointed out the build quality is the same regardless of the boat you get. I might also suggest looking at moving up a trim level or two. The extended aft deck would be nice to have and a good feature for resale down the road. If you could move up a trim level for not much more money I think it would be well worth it. I have not cross shopped a tritoon S with the motor size you are looking at but I would check a few different dealers to be confident you are getting a reasonable price. For my build (I just ordered) the dealers in my area were almost $19,000 apart so its good to get a few quotes. As we don't know exactly what you are looking for we can always offer opinions and we are good at spending other peoples money. :D Good luck with your search!

I agree with Carlson80's recommendation to consider 200 ponies. If you are going to haul 10 people or pull tubes and skis, I believe you will want to max out the HP rating. And if you boat in the South, keeping your boat in the water all summer can really affect your boat's performance. Before we had a boat lift, our pontoon sat in the water at the marina year-round. Within a month of the annual Spring hull cleaning, we were once again "pushing a garden" of growth (on the logs) through the water, which really slowed us down. As previously stated, we can sure spend others' money. Good call on the SPS upgrade and good luck on your build.

I agree with Carlson80's recommendation to consider 200 ponies. If you are going to haul 10 people or pull tubes and skis, I believe you will want to max out the HP rating. And if you boat in the South, keeping your boat in the water all summer can really affect your boat's performance. Before we had a boat lift, our pontoon sat in the water at the marina year-round. Within a month of the annual Spring hull cleaning, we were once again "pushing a garden" of growth (on the logs) through the water, which really slowed us down. As previously stated, we can sure spend others' money. Good call on the SPS upgrade and good luck on your build.
We keep our boat in the water from May- September. But we don't let the growth grow on our toons. Just about every time we go out we'll float around in a No Wake cove and get the sponges/rags/ old towels out and wipe all 3 toons. We had Sharkhide applied before our boat ever saw water so it easily wipes right off. We just can't stand for them to get dirty.......

Ok... here is the build... everything is listed except the turboswing OR Ski/Tow but one will be added. Thoughts or advice...? as you can see from the original post a lot has changed including my budget, yikes!

Attachments

• BoatBuild.jpg
    BoatBuild.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 44
Back