Need advice regarding 20 ft pontoon selection and options

BD3188

Reaction score
Recently retired! Own a 2nd home on a nearby lake. Been around boats all my life. We still have a 1973 Chaparral w/65 HP Johnson sitting in the garage. Runs great but the tri-hull beats us to death. We intend to also buy a lift as soon as we purchase the boat so finances is a consideration. We have selected this specific size and seating arrangement for many reasons. We want to pull grand children but we are not interested in blazing speeds. An afternoon to sunset cruise would be most ideal for the wife and myself. Most of the time we will cruise alone (2 persons). Frequently, we may cruise with 5 persons. Very seldom will there ever be 9 persons max. The dealer did not have this particular model in stock. Seems this one is just "not in demand and they didn't pre-order it". He says the manufacturer will raise the price in August. If we cannot get the boat we want, we can wait until December/January to place the order for next year. We did not order the boat in late May because the lift dealers were going crazy with installs for the upcoming boating season. We couldn't even talk to them. Very sorry to be so lengthy but hope this provides insight to our situation. My question is more about options and recommendations rather than waiting until next January to order the boat. Any recommendations for worthwhile options will be appreciated. Here is the boat and options as we wish to purchase.
20 ft SLLX
90 HP Yamaha
25 Inch Tubes
Ski Tow Bar

Seagrass/vinyl and extended aft deck would be a must for me. I doubt carpets even ordered anymore.

Seagrass/vinyl and extended aft deck would be a must for me. I doubt carpets even ordered anymore.

I totally second Semper’s recommendation. I particularly would echo the extended aft deck. SO CONVENIENT and HELPFUL.

I would also offer up considering a wave shield to help make for a smoother ride when out on the water unless your lake is typically just calm and gentle.

Get the lifting strikes and wave shield.

I have a 20slmxp - in floor storage great for cover/poles and fenders out of the way - also have 25" toons / 90HP - my lifting strakes definitely enhance ride - privacy enclosure with portable toilet great for longer trips - battery shut off is nice for piece of mind

I have a 20slmxp - in floor storage great for cover/poles and fenders out of the way - also have 25" toons / 90HP - my lifting strakes definitely enhance ride - privacy enclosure with portable toilet great for longer trips - battery shut off is nice for piece of mind

By the way you'll love the boat - with much the same circumstances as you we are going on our third year with ours and it suits are wants and needs perfectly

Simtex upgrade is a must for me.

Also have you searched for similar boats in stock at dealers in your state. Most deliver for $150 flat fee. When I bought my boat I had settled on the 20 SLV because of price. Due to delays in delivery. I started looking at in stock in my state. I found a 20 SLM SPS (tri toon with wave shield and lifting strakes for $2700 more then I was going to pay for the SLV.

That $2700 got me. Battery Shutoff, Upgraded seats, Fish Finder, 115 HP (vs 90), 3rd toon, lifting strakes, wave shield, tow bar, Hydraulic Steering & upgraded speakers. All of which would have added $9765 to the MSRP

Back