Need Help With Prop Selection

DiamondDave952

Reaction score
I will be taking delivery of a 2021 22SSBX with a Yamaha 115Hp and Sea Legs on Feb 5th. I looked at Yamaha's performance bulletin and found a 22 Bennington with a Yamaha 115. Yamaha's test boat is not the same set-up that I have and was wondering if the weight of the Sea Legs would affect the prop selection. I was wondering if their are others on this forum who have a 22' Bennington with a Yamaha 115 hp and Sea Legs that could give me some feedback on which type of prop they used to get the best performance. My definition of performance is speed. I will be mostly cruising around the lake. Thanks!

Yamaha Pontoon Series SDS 14x13 stainless seems to be the most common for a 22' pontoon with twin logs and the F115, per the performance bulletins.

Top speeds around the 26-32 MPH range.

Part number is 6H1-45978-00-00

Your 22SSBX is variously quoted as 23 or 24 feet (one actual measurement is 23.75'). I've seen quotes for the weight of sea legs at 400 pounds (plus extra drag)...that seems high, but don't know... Optional power seems to be 200 HP with many selecting 150. Your build and 115 HP on tap means you need to be in lower part of the pitch range and will likely have more satisfaction with a 4-blade prop similar to the Mer Spitfire or Quicksilver Nemesis in their pontoon prop version (designed for your speed range).

I just recently put on an SDS 12p Yamaha Talon pontoon prop (three blade). There will be no opportunity for a fair test until warmer water in the spring, but from what I've seen so far the Nemesis Pontoon is the better prop for us. The Nemesis 13p is the best I've tried for our use, but if we were normally running heavy or towing the 11p would be the way to go....wish either Merc or Quicksilver made a 12p in the pontoon series.

The likely difference in gear ratio between our motors pretty much offsets the HP difference...meaning prop and pitch combinations that work for us will be pretty close for you too (although you may have a gear ratio other than the what is typical). The SS pontoon props are very good, but 3-4 times the cost (or more) too.

Last edited:
I'll second the 13" Nemesis for the 115 HP. I originally had a 15" stainless that had a lot of prop chatter at idle. The Nemesis had better hole shot and within 1 mph top end on my boat with a 115 Yamaha 4 stroke.

I will be taking delivery of a 2021 22SSBX with a Yamaha 115Hp and Sea Legs on Feb 5th. I looked at Yamaha's performance bulletin and found a 22 Bennington with a Yamaha 115. Yamaha's test boat is not the same set-up that I have and was wondering if the weight of the Sea Legs would affect the prop selection. I was wondering if their are others on this forum who have a 22' Bennington with a Yamaha 115 hp and Sea Legs that could give me some feedback on which type of prop they used to get the best performance. My definition of performance is speed. I will be mostly cruising around the lake. Thanks!
Which hull did you go with? That’s an important aspect of getting advice on you question. Traditionail 2-toon? Express? Ellipticals? SPS? ESP?

I have Sea Legs on a 24” SSBXP SPS with a 200 HP Mercury V-Pro. I added the Sea Legs our 3rd summer with the boat, so I had previously dialed in my prop. I did notice a change. I certainly could drop down 1 pitch now to re-dial it in. However, since it is still pretty drain solid performance wise, I am not spending the money to do so.

My recommendation is to see if your dealer will let you “test” a prop or two before committing. IF yes, then I’d take what is normally recommended without Sea Legs, and get that prop 1 pitch smaller. I’d start there as my baseline, logging RPM’s at WOT. Adjust if needed.

For reference, if you have an SPS full tritoon hull, you might not get any drag or water resistance with your Sea Legs. You will have more buoyancy to get them up and out of the water. With my 200HP motor and the SPS hull, that’s no problem. I don’t know with the 115, but so long as you are lightly loaded, probably the same. Heavy load, then maybe not with the 115.

If you have a traditional 2 log pontoon, that’s going to sit lower. With a 115, I just don’t know how that would do with the extra weight, but assuming some level of drag or water resistance might be inevitable with 2 logs only - especially with any extra people and gear on board with you.

Which hull did you go with? That’s an important aspect of getting advice on you question. Traditionail 2-toon? Express? Ellipticals? SPS? ESP?

I have Sea Legs on a 24” SSBXP SPS with a 200 HP Mercury V-Pro. I added the Sea Legs our 3rd summer with the boat, so I had previously dialed in my prop. I did notice a change. I certainly could drop down 1 pitch now to re-dial it in. However, since it is still pretty drain solid performance wise, I am not spending the money to do so.

My recommendation is to see if your dealer will let you “test” a prop or two before committing. IF yes, then I’d take what is normally recommended without Sea Legs, and get that prop 1 pitch smaller. I’d start there as my baseline, logging RPM’s at WOT. Adjust if needed.

For reference, if you have an SPS full tritoon hull, you might not get any drag or water resistance with your Sea Legs. You will have more buoyancy to get them up and out of the water. With my 200HP motor and the SPS hull, that’s no problem. I don’t know with the 115, but so long as you are lightly loaded, probably the same. Heavy load, then maybe not with the 115.

If you have a traditional 2 log pontoon, that’s going to sit lower. With a 115, I just don’t know how that would do with the extra weight, but assuming some level of drag or water resistance might be inevitable with 2 logs only - especially with any extra people and gear on board with you.
Thanks for the words of wisdom. I do have a 2 log set-up with lifting strakes and got a much power that I could afford as others on this forum have recommended. I will report back this Spring so we both can add this data point to our collective knowledge. ~Cheers

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I do have a 2 log set-up with lifting strakes and got a much power that I could afford as others on this forum have recommended. I will report back this Spring so we both can add this data point to our collective knowledge. ~Cheers
Awesome. I look forward to learning more through your experience this summer. Not as much information shared by people with a 2 log set up and Sea Legs. It will be good for others to get that info with your 115HP. Enjoy your upcoming summer!

I just ordered my first Bennington/Pontoon. It is a 2021 SSBX and should be here in late April to May. I have the SPS and the Wavetamer. It has a Yamaha 150 on the back and the dealer puts a 15 degree prop on as standard but mentioned that he could go to a 13 degree to get me started quicker. We mostly pull kids on Tubes and the ZUP Board. They did mention that I have to be careful of over reving on the 13 degree prop if I am by myself, etc. Is that a big concern? Should I go with a 15 or 13?

I just ordered my first Bennington/Pontoon. It is a 2021 SSBX and should be here in late April to May. I have the SPS and the Wavetamer. It has a Yamaha 150 on the back and the dealer puts a 15 degree prop on as standard but mentioned that he could go to a 13 degree to get me started quicker. We mostly pull kids on Tubes and the ZUP Board. They did mention that I have to be careful of over reving on the 13 degree prop if I am by myself, etc. Is that a big concern? Should I go with a 15 or 13?

I'd stick with the most common one recommended by Yamaha, themselves: Reliance SDS 14.5x15, current gen part number is 68F-45970-20-00

Back