Need Help with shopping

I agree with all of our pals on this site who say do NOT pay $10K more than you should simply because you THINK you’ll have to wait for warranty service.

Hey guys I’ve been lurking here for a while and I’m getting close to finally buying a Bennington. I’m looking at either a 20 or 21 SLX or SSBX. My local dealer is coming in almost 10k higher than dealers in the Midwest.

My only concern with buying from a dealer 10 hrs away is that I’m going to need my local dealer for any warranty service or repairs. Do you think that would be an issue? Are all dealers required to service warranty issues equally regardless of where the boat was purchased?

Let’s be honest what good is a warranty if you don’t have someone who will service it for you. I’d buy from my local guy but he’s not budging on the price.

Please share any advice or similar experiences

thanks
Itsakeepa, do you mind if I ask what you decided? I am also trying to decide/price a 21 or 22 SLX or SSBX. Wondering if you had any luck in moving forward and at what price?

Itsakeepa -- While that is unfortunate it sounded like it was best to move on. My nearest dealer is 1 hr away but I ended up going with the dealer 2 1/2 hrs from me for the best deal. They have been good to work with. Good luck with your search and hope you find a dealer not too far away to work with.

Palmer-on-GL -- I see you are in WI. I would start by searching dealer websites around your area and maybe into MN to get ideas on pricing and options. Hopefully you will find a dealer who is able to work with you to get you what you are looking for. When I was looking for where I was going to purchase my boat I checked all of North Dakota and Minnesota to get a feel for prices. Looked at a couple is South Dakota too. Granted not too many dealers to search but there was a wide range in prices on what I was looking for. Good luck!

Itsakeepa -- While that is unfortunate it sounded like it was best to move on. My nearest dealer is 1 hr away but I ended up going with the dealer 2 1/2 hrs from me for the best deal. They have been good to work with. Good luck with your search and hope you find a dealer not too far away to work with.

Palmer-on-GL -- I see you are in WI. I would start by searching dealer websites around your area and maybe into MN to get ideas on pricing and options. Hopefully you will find a dealer who is able to work with you to get you what you are looking for. When I was looking for where I was going to purchase my boat I checked all of North Dakota and Minnesota to get a feel for prices. Looked at a couple is South Dakota too. Granted not too many dealers to search but there was a wide range in prices on what I was looking for. Good luck!

Lakelife, I think that means you went with the dealer we discussed - and in that case congrats! They've been fantastic to me in the 10+ years we've worked with them. On our second Benny, and the discounts were significant on our new R25.

Another point on warranty work - outboards don't need an intense amount of work (especially new), and Bennington builds their boats very well. There's a solid chance you'll never even need any warranty service. Go with the best boat at the best price. Some less scrupulous dealers just base pricing off the Benny website - which is nowhere near what you can get these boats for (especially on higher margin models). Including dealer add-ons/freebies, I got about 34% off the list on my new boat. Part of that discount was due to financing... we paid the max to still get the financing deal, and then paid off the balance a month later.

I’m thinking one of the dealers screwed up pricing on that much of a spread, or the low one is a WalMart dealer type dealer. High volume, low margin, so they make their money on backend services, storage, transport etc...
As for dealer pricing, I’m sure there’s a difference based on volume. Your high dealer sounds like the type thats gonna go after his salesman, but in reality it’s his pricing and service that set the bar. That old “I’m only making” line sounds like a used car sales pitch, and would be enough for me to walk away. I hate when a dealer does that.

I’m thinking one of the dealers...is a WalMart dealer type dealer. High volume, low margin, so they make their money on backend services, storage, transport etc...
As I've mentioned before, I can only get a slip on my lake if I buy through my dealer/marina... there are ZERO slips available on Canandaigua Lake, and there are hundreds and hundreds of boaters who want one. No one can lease a slip unless they buy a boat from my dealer/marina. That's OK; I gladly paid the quoted price for my Benny as the slip is the only way we can boat. We do not have a car that can tow our boat, nor are we interested in getting involved in the crowded MESS that is the public boat ramp. I shudder to think about having to deal with that nightmare or waiting for hours to get my boat in/out of the water. Can't wait to pop down to the marina, hop in the boat, and be on the water in a few minutes. C'mon spring!

Last edited:
Yup, I love our slip on our state park lake. Year 10 of boating and year 8 with slip. Don’t miss the first couple launching and receiving every outing.

So this whole things keeps getting weirder by the minute.

First I get a call from the dealer in the Midwest I got the really good quote from. They say that they can’t sell me the boat because I live in a different region and I’d have to use my local Bennington dealer. Now there was no mention of this before in our previous phone calls and emails and the guy already gave me an official quote knowing where I live.

A few hours later my local dealer calls me and lowers the price a few grand and says he showed the competing offer to his sales rep and was given a credit from Bennington to lower the price on his boat that’s already on his lot lol.

Is it just me or is this whole thing bizarre? I’m glad he came down a little but it’s still a bit high in my opinion. Do you think Bennington really could have gotten involved and told them to stay out of each others territory and gave my local guy a credit for being undercut by the other guy?

So this whole things keeps getting weirder by the minute.

First I get a call from the dealer in the Midwest I got the really good quote from. They say that they can’t sell me the boat because I live in a different region and I’d have to use my local Bennington dealer. Now there was no mention of this before in our previous phone calls and emails and the guy already gave me an official quote knowing where I live.

A few hours later my local dealer calls me and lowers the price a few grand and says he showed the competing offer to his sales rep and was given a credit from Bennington to lower the price on his boat that’s already on his lot lol.

Is it just me or is this whole thing bizarre? I’m glad he came down a little but it’s still a bit high in my opinion. Do you think Bennington really could have gotten involved and told them to stay out of each others territory and gave my local guy a credit for being undercut by the other guy?

I doubt Bennington got involved in that kind of manner, as I'm going to assume that each dealer can do what they want since they are all independent of one another and not owned or operated by corporate.

I'd keep looking for another dealer that would meet my pricing expectations, if it were me in that situation.

From what I’ve read this is not unusual, territory rules prevent high-volume guys putting the little guy out of business which hurts everyone including the consumer. My guess is the original dealer did your local guy a solid and contacted him, as well as passing along details of your original quote.

You might want to play hardball - let the local guy know you appreciate the lower offer but it’s still beyond your price point and you’ll look at other options (used, different brand, etc.). But if they come closer to the out of territory price you’ll consider.

Dealers don’t want to lose a sale if they don’t have to, but they also don’t need to give the product away especially when sales are still hot. Be prepared to have your bluff called and perhaps accept paying a little more than you would like if you want to buy right now.

And whatever you do I would try and maintain a good faith conversation with the local guy. You never know, you may end up needing him to service a motor or warranty on a used Benny and he’ll be sure to remember how you treated him! Never burn a bridge you may need to cross one day!

I can see this happening, Bennington protects their dealers. They want you to buy from a local dealer that will be the servicing dealer also. Play hardball but not to the point you will regret them saying no and you loosing the boat or the boat build slot. It is a sellers market as much as it has ever been. I wish you the best of luck.

I would prefer to buy from the local dealer due to the fact that is who you are going to work with for maintenance, service, warranty and possible add one and upgrades for years to come

Over the years there have been many who have posted regrets on not buying local

Back