Need High Windshield

mecheng1

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Bennington 2574 GCW with 250 hp Vmax. Since it can exceed 40 mph I need a high windshield. Does anyone have any ideas on what should be an easy thing to do. In fact why doesn't Bennington offer a high windshield ??

That's a complaint of mine as well. While visiting my dealer this past weekend, I noticed that the windshields on the floor models seem to be even lower than what's on my 2016. For simplicity sake, I'd recommend buying a box of goggles for those times you want to take it WOT. BTW, welcome to the forum and post a picture of your Benny!

I have two sets of safety glasses that stay on board; a tinted and clear. One for day and the other for night to keep bugs out of my eyes.

I mentioned goggles because at 40+ the wind makes my eyes water to the point it's difficult to see.

I just wear a nice pair of wrap around sunglasses and zip all over at 40 mph plus.

Last edited:
Lol, goggles are a plan B U guess. Thanks

Thank you. Yes I will post a picture of our boat!

I guess that there is no way to post a video?

yes ,you can post a video ,plus 1 on the wrap around sunglasses

Last edited:
That reminds me, I need to buy a replacement windshield. It got caught on the lift canopy backing out while I was still adjusting it last season. Ripped it apart.

Would one order a replacement windshield through their dealer?

Others have posted links for wind shield replacement .Try the search

I have a 2011 Bennington 2574 GCW with 250 hp Vmax. Since it can exceed 40 mph I need a high windshield. Does anyone have any ideas on what should be an easy thing to do. In fact why doesn't Bennington offer a high windshield ??

Uh . . . this is a VERY bad and slippery slope. You need to GET THE WINDSHIELD OUT OF YOUR HEAD RIGHT NOW!!

Moderators . . . . why isn't this required reading????? http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/the-windshield-fiasco-of-2016.7129/

Uh . . . this is a VERY bad and slippery slope. You need to GET THE WINDSHIELD OUT OF YOUR HEAD RIGHT NOW!!

Moderators . . . . why isn't this required reading????? http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/the-windshield-fiasco-of-2016.7129/

I am NOT suffering from ( HDS) Hi-windshield Derangement Syndrome and can stop at any time. I will admit that I did try to fabricate a plywood form and mold samples of lexan over it to try to mimic the compound curves of my windshield. Temperature appeared to be a critical parameter but I failed utterly and miserably. Briefly concluded that a vacuum autoclave might be required, but shelved that project and went to Dunkin Donuts instead. Actually my 2574 GCW will hit around 45 MPH (GPS) on a calm day here in the GOM. And in winter or spring months I do not appreciate the cold wind blast in my face. I also don't want to look like a WW1 fighter pilot wearing goggles, so goggles are out. In fact they only brand one as a Hi-windshield proponent failure, imho.
So why do Bennington torture us like this? Presumably their "engineers" are working on the next refrigerated dog bowl or pink rub rail accessories.
I did have lengthy correspondence with them in 2012 about the SS upgraded nav lights that rusted out in spite of my cleaning and waxing. Suggested that they probably used 304L SS to save a few bucks over 316L SS. So after replacing my lights twice the replacements that they sent the third time about 2 yrs later have not corroded, just like the cleats never did. No explanation, but I must be on their a-hole list.
However, in spite of all that, our Bennington is the best boat we have ever owned and we love it!

Now I wonder how many vacuum holes to drill on my next form.

Thank you. Good suggestion. This might be a good option, if it could be curved to attach to the top of my standard windshield as shown. It's certainly worth some further investigation and the price is right.

Attachments

• windshield.jpg
    windshield.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 47
I just wear a nice pair of wrap around sunglasses and zip all over at 40 mph plus.
I do the same when I am the only one onboard.
With passengers it is a different story. There is a direct relationship of comfort to speed and the age of the passengers. The grandkids do well without sunglasses or a tall windshield. Like me, they have the need for speed.

Just don't get the speed thing so many of you have. My best friend has an S series with a Yamaha 150 and loves to do 40. At that speed I find it too bumpy with the waves on our good size lake and you really can't converse due to the wind. I wont even get into my beer sloshing around

I wont even get into my beer sloshing around

I have go-fast boat friends and the fastest I have been is 126 MPH riding in a 38' Skater with twin 1100 HP Mercury racing engines. (Wife has been 142 MPH in same boat, different time. We made a conscious decision not to ride together.)

Worthless (well maybe not) point of observation: 70 MPH is the fastest speed to drink beer. After that, when you try to take a sip, the beer just streams past your ear.

Back